New Member :) Hi Guys! I have questions

:frowHi, so glad to have you! Yes, as @cherrynberry mentioned, I did just receive an order of chicks! Wait, has it been a month already?! Yes, it has! I got them from Cackle Hatchery, and they are very good to do business with as well. They sent me two extra (total of 18) and all have survived beautifully! I have also ordered from Meyer in the past with similar results. I think most of the big name hatcheries do very well with customer service; they have to in order to stay in business due to the competition! When you place your order you should be able to pick your ship date or they will have a list of hatch dates. Then your chicks get shipped and should arrive no later than three days after hatch. It's so exciting to wait for them and be sure everything is ready for them! Almost as much fun as waiting for a new baby, lol!

I had chickens 40 years ago, but left the farm and haven't had them since :( . Things have changed a lot! Hubby and I retired to 5 acres in FL and we've built a nice big coop. Wanting to get a mixture of chicks to start off with, but want to make sure I have everything ready before I order them. Do I need to feed the medicated crumbles? I'm pretty sure we didn't have that when I had chickens before. Shoot, we didn't even have computers or Amazon! Now, I go online and there are so many hatcheries it boggles the mind. I think I've figured out what kind of hen's I want, but I can't find a hatchery that has all of them. Since I want around 20, I thought I'd order them all at once. Will it hurt to order from 2 hatcheries at the same time? One last question for this time :) How long does it take to get the chicks after you order them? Thanks!
It took about 2 weeks for my chicks to arrive if I remember correctly. I ordered from TSC, but only once. I feed medicated feed for 6 weeks and switch to nonmedicated from there are. Not everybody does that though.

Its okay to order from different hatcheries, but just remember that in a batch of 20, there will most likely be at least 2 cockerels. Most free chicks are cockerels. You will have to rehome some cockerels. What breeds are you getting? For pets or as livestock?

@BigBlueHen53 just got chicks though...

I had chickens 40 years ago, but left the farm and haven't had them since :( . Things have changed a lot! Hubby and I retired to 5 acres in FL and we've built a nice big coop. Wanting to get a mixture of chicks to start off with, but want to make sure I have everything ready before I order them. Do I need to feed the medicated crumbles? I'm pretty sure we didn't have that when I had chickens before. Shoot, we didn't even have computers or Amazon! Now, I go online and there are so many hatcheries it boggles the mind. I think I've figured out what kind of hen's I want, but I can't find a hatchery that has all of them. Since I want around 20, I thought I'd order them all at once. Will it hurt to order from 2 hatcheries at the same time? One last question for this time :) How long does it take to get the chicks after you order them? Thanks!
If you are getting your chicks from a hatchery then vaccinate them. This way you don’t feed medicated feed and you don’t have to worry about that. There is nothing wrong with ordering from two different hatcheries as long as they are coming around the same time so there is not too bad of an age difference. The hatcheries should say when your chicks will be hatching. Should say when they are available before you even order them. You wait until their hatch date and then about two days (depending on where you live) after that they should arrive.

Back
Top Bottom