New Member!! I need help with my possible rooster.

Sunshine Coop

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
Monroe Pennsylvania
Hi I just recently got my first ever backyard chickens!!! I got four pullets from Tractor Supply but I was sold the wrong breed(they were mislabeled). So sadly I have no clue what kind of chickens I have and I'm starting to suspect one of them is a rooster. Please leave some tips on sexing about 4 week old chicks because if my beloved Squishy is a rooster I have to give her away to a farm up the street from me who has A LOT of free range chickens. I know he/she will be happy there but she is one of my favorite chicks and I don't want to give her up. I noticed her comb is a lot bigger compared to my other chicks and is red. After doing some research I can tell that she is getting a waddle. I do think Squishy is a couple days older than the rest of the chicks though because she had been maturing a little bit before the rest of them. Please help me!:) (I'll post pictures tomorrow the chicks are sleeping)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If the comb is showing red at 4 weeks, it's likely a cockerel. Were straight run chicks being sold there as well as sexed chicks?
When I went they were selling sexed Marans and when I got home I realized my chicks were supposed to be black. So I realized I was sold the wrong chicks. When I went back about 2 weeks later for chicken wire they were selling straight runs that looked a lot more like the chicks I was sold.

IMG_6207[1].JPG
IMG_6209[1].JPG

This is Squishy compared to her sister hope this helps and yes Squishy is very bald 😆 . Also if anyone thinks they might know the breed that would be helpful too!

Back
Top Bottom