New member in CA

chiefbig1

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Morgan Hill, CA
New member here in Morgan Hill, CA.

Been browsing for a while and wanted to jump in and say hi. I purchased some plans (see pic below), started construction and have found some 6 week old chicks. I really like the looks of this coop and hope mine comes out as nice as the one in the pics the plan seller provided.

What I want is 4 - 6 hens for egg production. The chicks I found are Rhode Island Reds, so I hope they'll do the job. The coop plans call for a screen/wire floor, and from what I've been reading about the heavier breeds, this may hurt their feet. The idea of a screen floor is ideal for my setting, but don't want to hurt the birds. Any thoughts or ideas for less evasive screen type floors?

Thanks!

Bob

LeftSide.jpg

welcome-byc.gif

Cute coop idea! Good luck! Sorry I can't answer your floor question since I don't use a screen floor.

RIR's are a great laying breed!

welcome-byc.gif
. Sorry don't know the answer.Isa Brown are the best egg machine, but Rhode islands should be great for your egg production. Just got some chicks a few days old myself. Good luck and by the way, nice coop

welcome-byc.gif

I'd use some 3/4 plywood and vinyl on top to making cleaning easier. If it gets cold at all a screen floor would be a huge draft on the chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

I use screen floors. I love using a garden hose to clean. I just rake up my feathered friends deposits and put in the garden. Easy cleanup. Chickens don't mind much either. Depending on where you are in CA you probably don't have to worry much about cold temps. I'm in OK and mine are fine.

I don't have RIRs on screen though so I cannot vouch whether heavies would have a problem.

Just my 2 cents worth. Welcome again!

Morgan Hill. *sigh* I used to live on the Central Coast. I miss everything but the home prices!

We recently finished coop #2 (of 3), and we did a plywood floor covered in vinyl flooring. I love it! It is soooo easy to clean. With only a few chickens, you can clean it out with a cat litter scoop & whisk broom. Piece of cake . . . er, poop. Whatever. It's easy.

Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom