new member in Louisiana

callie&co.

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
Lake Charles
Hi! This is my first experience with chickens. My husband decided he wanted chicken for his birthday (we have been discussing getting them for a while). Well, I ordered them and they were mailed right about the time our deep freeze was ending. Unfortunately they got chilled or something but they all died and i'm not sure if there was something i did wrong. I'm a little bit scared to try again. Is it normal to loose chicks like that (i ordered 5 but they were shipped with a bunch of boys)? Can anyone give me advice?

Hi Callie
welcome-byc.gif
Did you have a heat light on them or free from drafts? It was most likely the cold that killed them tho...There are quite a few ppl here from Louisiana...if you are looking into getting more chicks...maybe someone could help ya out....

Oh, the roos were in there to help keep the others warm...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. It can happen if they get too cold. Did they huddle a lot? Try not to be discouraged. If it is any consolation when we first started years ago we lost our first 200 broilers because of mistakes we made. Try again in the spring when it is warmer.
Glad you joined here.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom