New member in Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SJHoover, May 3, 2016.

1. SJHoover

SJHoover New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Steven and my wife is Joy. We have two awesome little boys whom we are trying to teach some good old fashion and sensible values. Things like being considerate, kind and helpful. We also want them to be more self-sustaining like learning to garden and grow their own food. We have a pretty good size back yard and thought it would be great to have either chickens or bees in, or possible both. When we recently got really serious about it we decided first on chickens. I thought, "well we used to live in nearby Dayton, where chickens were allowed, but we didn't have the yard for them". Now we have a yard, but they aren't allowed in Beavercreek, Ohio. We I searched through Google I saw this site and noticed people were having the same issue and in the same city. I hope some things can be changed with regards to the chickens. I've downloaded the city ordnance on beekeeping and may have to go with that unless something changes soon with the chicken-keeping. Hopefully we can have both. I love honey but I can't live without eggs[​IMG]

2. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    [​IMG] Glad you joined the site! I wish you the best!

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :welcome

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you decided to join us.

Here's hoping your ordinance gets changed so you can have chickens and bees [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Steven and welcome to BYC - good luck with dealing with the "geniuses" that write the red tape!

CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you prevail - bee keeping isn't what I could call 'child friendly." Sometimes an ordinance will allow quail, guineas or ducks but, NOT chickens.

8. SJHoover

SJHoover New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Ha ha ha, as weird as that sounds, it wouldn't surprise me that they would allow other foul like quail, ducks or guineas.

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

[​IMG]
    We live in Ohio too! I hope that one day you can get chickens, they are a blast!
    henny1129

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by