New Member in SF

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by telsono, Sep 15, 2014.

1. telsono

telsono Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Hi, my wife and I obtained four birds through a sort of barter. She is a hair cutter and one of her long time clients couldn't keep the chickens that his son had. we traded haircuts for the birds. We have started with the four birds, a white Crested Polish, a Silver duck Wing OEGB and two Silkies (white and black). they have quickly become part of our family. Our two dogs (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) have been great with them. One acknowledges that they are there but little else and the other is very interested, more like trying to care for them, sort of a chicken shepherd. Coco our OEGB gives her a poke now and then to keep her behaved. Lana isn't obtrusive, but wants to smell their bottoms, like dogs do to greet each other.

Mike

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a cute little flock. Nice trade!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Great that the dogs are ok with the chickens. Most dogs see chickens as dinner! So just be careful with them.

Good trade! Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

5. telsono

Sep 15, 2014
    We have a bench near the coop the dogs prefer to sit on it and my lap and just watch the chickens. they sniff at the birds but nothing more. Mei Mei will only not allow the chickens in the house. Hilly as SF is, our backyard is terraced with a retaining wall along one side, chain linked fence along two more sides and the house securing the last. We let our flock roam the backyard freely, but make sure they are tucked away for the night. Una, our Polish, will roost upon the coop in the evenings. After I finish cleaning up for the night, I put her back into the coop before going in myself. Lana will always come out to supervise what I do to make sure the chickens are safe.
    I bought a 30 pound feeder as the smaller feeders were troublesome. When I began to see rat (roof rats, not norways) and mice feces that troubled me so I built a container for the feeder to protect it from rodents and the weather. The front has a ramp like door that comes down for the chickens to get to the feeder which I close up for the night. The slanted roof is oversized to cover for the rain and is hinged to allow access to the feeder to refill it. No, I am not that much of a handyman, it's rough, but works well for our purpose.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourslef at home and we are here to help.

Be careful with your dogs around your flock.

7. melita

melita New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Would anyone like to trade my 2 month old rooster for asame age hen?

8. telsono

Sep 15, 2014
    Sorry, not me, we obtained what was supposed to be two Cuckoo Marans pullets (4 week old) and one is probably a rooster. San Francisco allows a limited number of chickens. There is no direct reference to roosters, but a noise nuisance clause is in the city regulations. I'm probably going to keep the roo, but one is more than enough.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Do be careful with your dogs. As many BYC members can attest (often to their own sorrow), even seemingly benign dogs will suddenly and unexpectedly (especially when unsupervised) decide to chase, and even kill the chickens, and once a dog does this, it is almost impossible to break it from doing it again. There are exceptions, but dogs and chickens do not usually mix well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by