New member in South Carolina, I attached pics let me know what you think

mllovey

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2018
I have had back yard chickens for going on six months now. I now have eight chickens. I started with a small chicken tractor and I just finished my 12x18 coop. My eight chickens make the coop look huge. I work on the coop every off day i have almost. I don't know the breeds of all my chickens. I do know I have one polish, one Americana, one game hen (who was my fist chicken), and one brahma. I'm still figuring out what the others are. I consider my chickens pets eggs are just a plus. I do not have any roosters. My coop is close to my house. If yal think I need a rooster let me know. backyardchickens.com has been a great help. I will try and attach some pics of the coop and chickens. If yal have any suggestion I will definitely consider.
IMG_3418.jpeg
IMG_3442-1.jpeg
IMG_3431.jpeg
IMG_3429.jpeg
IMG_3426.jpeg

:welcome The coop looks really nice! What do you have covering the openings? The holes look large enough for a raccoon to reach through, and I can't tell how sturdy it is. You might want to think about 1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth. Do you have any kind of anti-dig barrier or apron?

Thanks! I still have some holes to cover in the roof where rafter stick out for my over hang. Other than that and my fencing being on the big side its perty sealed up. I have some landscape timbers I am planning on putting around the bottom of the inside of the coop. Think that will be good enough? Thanks for the reply.

From the big city of gaffney. I haven't decided on roosters yet. I have been told I need one or two.

NEED one or two? I guess if you are wanting to have chicks from your hens someday, then yes, you will need a rooster. If you are only wanting the eggs for food or to sell, then no, you do not need a rooster. There are MANY very happy backyard chicken farmers that do not have any roosters for a many number of reasons. If you do decide on getting a rooster, you will only need one for as few of hens that you have. Otherwise that will be not only some fighting between the roosters, but also the girls will "suffer" as well from over zealous boys that will keep trying to outdo each other if you get what I mean!

BTW, Gaffney isn't that far from me so if you decide you want a cockerel just message me and I can hook you up. I have a few REAL Ameraucans as well as some Easter Eggers that will need homes soon.

Back
Top Bottom