New member intro and HELP NEEDED!

bmayer

Chirping
Jan 14, 2016
Rhode Island
Hi all! I am new as a member but not new to searching for answers on questions I have about my girls here! I guess I'll just introduce myself and my girls? I live in the north eastern USA and have 11 hens. 3 two year old Easter eggers, 4 two year old buff orpingtons, and 4 ten month old brown leghorns. As much as I love all of them, I am quite fond of my buffs, they're just so great in every way. I used to have 4 Easter eggers but lost one this past summer for unknown reasons. She seemed fine one morning and we found her cold in a nest box in the coop in the afternoon. Only 2 years old
1f622.png
well anyways, let's not dwell on the past! I love my girls and try to keep them as happy and healthy as possible!

I have, however, run into some trouble this week with my absolute FAVORITES girl, Mindy. She developed quite the impacted crop at the beginning of the week. We gave her small amounts of watered down mushy pellets and massaged her crop at least twice a day all week. She has lost a ton of weight, you can see her breast bone protruding under her feathers and she is tiny now when she used to be one of my fatter ones a few weeks ago. The crop is finally almost empty, except for a large marble sized lump. She has been eating well and drinking like a fiend through the whole thing until yesterday. She only picked at her mash in the morning and wasn't interested in any of it by the evening. She has been pecking at every tiny speck on the floor of my kitchen and always tries to steal whatever it is that I'm eating, especially potato chips! (She tried stealing one out of my mouth last night
1f602.png
). So she is definitely hungry but just not eating what she should be and she basically only eats if I hand feed it to her. I got her to eat a slice of bread, with water so it was mushy since we still seem to have a crop problem, about a teaspoon of peanut butter, about a tablespoon of banana, and a teaspoon of leftover beef roast from last night. She's still at least drinking really really well. She is disinterested in peanut butter now and won't eat raw eggs. I'm going no to try cooking some eggs to see if she will eat that, though I'm not terribly hopeful to be honest
1f61e.png
. Any ideas about what the heck is going on with my baby and different things I should try would be amazing! I'm so scared I'm going to lose her.
1f630.png

I'm sorry but, all I can think of is to get her to a vet. The more weight, etc. she looses the closer she is to passing. Peanut butter and potato chips can't help her at all and may injure her crop - potato chips are very sharp to swallow.

I haven't let her eat anything but mushy food, as much as she wants the chips, she has not been allowed to eat any. We tried our vet, but he isn't comfortable treating chickens. And of course my family doesn't take it as seriously as I do so going to the state vet for treatment is out of the question. They're more into homeopathic remedies for the girls which has helped the crop significantly but we have the not eating problem now. It's very strange to me since she's acting COMPLETELY normal otherwise.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sorry that I can't help you out, but I hope that other members will chime in.

Hope all goes well

Ct

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I hope everything went well with your girl.

:welcome

Sorry to hear your girl is having crop issues. Have you seen this article in the Learning Center about crops? There may be something there that will help you, if not, please post on the emergency forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck!

I have read it and have been treating her accordingly. I also posted in the emergency forum
1f60a.png
everyone has been so helpful and supportive. It feels like you're all here with me treating her. It's good to know I'm not alone in it. She's doing better, crop still isn't totally empty though
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom