New Member Introduction: 404 Farms

404Farms

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
Hello BYC community! We are 404 Farms ( a bad tech joke stemming from webpage error code 404 File Not Found... But I guess if you have to explain it, it's a bad joke anyway.)

I'll stick with the suggested questions, as I'm sure they're better than any I could come up with myself. So, without further adue, here's a little about us!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We've been at this for a few years. Started out with 6 chickens from mypetchicken(dot)com, since then, added some more from rescue, a few from Tractor Supply, and then we started ordering specialty birds from Metzer Farms and other local places. We've also branched out into ducks and geese!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We currently have 9 adult chickens, 14 adolescent chickens, 12 ducks and 3 geese. Oh dear. (we also have 7 goats (2 are pregnant!) and 4 pigs.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Silky, Orpington, Bantam, Brama, Cotchen and I'm sure more (My wife knows these things...)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Watching them be chickens, living their best life. And eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Right now, we're expanding the farm, and that takes every weekend I have, plus some weeknights. We're mostly building up infrastructure on our 5 acres. I have some other unrelated hobbies, such as 3d printing, modeling, general tinkering and DIY. I love working with my hands when I can, as I sit at a desk all day for work.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My wife and I have been married for 17 years, we have 3 kids. We also have 2 Malamutes, 5 cats, a gecko and a fish.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC from googling my many questions about duck pond filtration and pumps. I kept seeing such lively and engaged discussions, that I felt this was the place to be!

Back
Top Bottom