New Member Introduction

Teresa Hood

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
Newark, TX.
Hello, my name is Teresa, and I’m NEW to chickens, (city girl for 40+yrs) my husband is determined to change that (good luck 😁) My husband makes jokes about it, (what do you get when you cross livestock and a city girl..........house broke livestock🤣 it’s all in fun) I have a license in bird rehabilitation (including raptors), I don’t think I am a dumb person, BUT obviously when it comes to chickens I have been proven wrong on so many occasions (I learn something new EVERYDAY, and always seek advice) I have NO problem saying “I have absolutely no idea”. I don’t know even as much as most people have forgot, I AM WILLING TO LEARN, things happen involving my chickens and eggs that even the professionals (vet, people who have raised chickens all their life, breeders, website, etc and the list goes on and on) scratches their head and ACTUALLY SAY “I have NEVER seen this before“, and do not even know where to send me for help. Like I said NEW to chickens, I have many family members (my animals). Horses, Cattle, Pigs, Chickens, Dogs, and a Monkey.......and yes I said monkey. They all get along great, haven’t had any issues or conflict. We (my husband and myself) have 42 acres that contain our horses and cattle. That we also use for hunting (deer, wild hogs, bobcats, coyotes, cougar, and nuisance animals) Then where we live (about an hour away) is where the pigs, dogs, monkey, and chickens live. Seeing how I’m getting into the chicken aspect. Raising chickens, collecting eggs, even incubated 2 times ( first time 32 eggs 12 survivors, second time 36 eggs and 13 survivorsI. I am utterly lost, and don’t know where to even go to find answers. We decided to buy a few chicks (16 to be precise) And 12 are still alive (2 were given away, 4 died) Please be patient with me, I may ask some very (what you would call) stupid questions. When I ask things, people roll their eyes and say ”that was a stupid question” keep in mind I may ask things that seem obvious to you, but I just don’t know. I DO know I have 3 females of 1 type 🤷🏻‍♀️ that are black/gray/brown, 2 females of 1 type 🤷🏻‍♀️ that are white with a little black, 2 females of 1 type 🤷🏻‍♀️, that are solid white and are smaller compared to the others, 2 females of 1 type 🤷🏻‍♀️ that are red, and 1 rooster that is a big solid white pretty boy. The breeds I have NO clue, I think I’m right when it comes to the male/female sex, but I have been wrong before, (Nothing new for me) I want to learn as much as possible so that I know what I’m doing. I have quite a few questions about the eggs from these chickens, I will go into that on a different post labeled “Egg Anomalies”. I want to thank every and all that is willing to help me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC!
Where did you buy the chicks?
From local feed store, and it was not my intentions when I went in the store, I saw 1 and inquired about it, was told couldn’t buy just 1, minimum requirement was 4, so I went a little overboard and said “ well if I am going to have that many (4), might as well get more.🤷🏻‍♀️ So I got 16, (spontaneous buy). Then as they got bigger I found out I had 5 roosters, kept 1, the other 4 were very good in homemade chicken and dumpling, bringing my total to 12, then went and bought 4 more (new total 16 again) at another feed store that I was told they were females, needless to say “not true”, all males, so I gave all 4 away along with 1 female and one died, so now I have 10 ( I think 9 females and 1 male). This can be very confusing, I stay confused...... So they started laying eggs around October 2019. I do try to collect eggs everyday, I’ve gone as long as 3 days. On average it comes out as anywhere from 9-13 eggs a day. I have been told that how I feed them is why I have so many eggs in a day. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom