New member introduction

Katheryn1962

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2021
Welcome. I would start with three hens since minimum and wait till they age and production drops before getting three more. That should provide you with a dozen a week. This keeps them laying at a :welcome rate you can handle.

This article may be helpful in choosing breeds: Check it out. Please note the breed chart and characteristics with resources linked attached in the article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/choosing-the-right-breed-for-you.74446/
Thank You!!! I appreciate the information and link to the article. I definitely want some good tempered, egg layers!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Welcome to BYC Katheryn, hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. What is your climate like in March? I believe you mentioned having chicks sent in March. If March is cold & blustery like it is here, it would be better to have them sent in warmer, settled weather.

Some hatcheries enclose male chicks - as warmers. But, then you might be stuck with males you cannot rehome. You can see how little male chicks mean to them.

Top Bottom