New member introduction

shana09

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 18, 2011
Hi everybody, I just recently joined the group. I figured I might as well since it seems like I'm always finding answers on here.

We have been raising free range chickens since 2009.

We started out in the spring of 2009 with 1 Red Sex Link rooster, 1 Ameraucana hen, and 4 Red Sex Link hens.
In the fall of 2009 we added 1 Buff Orpington rooster and 2 Buff Orpington hens (our Red Sex Link rooster got killed)

In the summer of 2010 one of our Red Sex Links went broody and hatched 7 chicks (4 of them roosters)
We also bought another Red Sex Link pullet. So, out of that, we added 4 laying hens.

In the spring and summer of 2011 we bought and hatched a total 50 chicks (half of them roosters), some didn't make and sold several.

Right now we are down to 23 chickens.
We have 2 Buff Orpington roosters, 1 half Red Sex Link and half Buff Orpington rooster, and 1 young Rhode Island Red rooster.
We have 2 Buff Orpington laying hens, 4 Red Sex Link laying hens, 1 Ameraucana laying hen
and we have 2 Buff Orpington pullets, 9 Red Sex Link/Rhode Island Red pullets (the guy said they were Red Sex Link's but a few look like Rhode Island Reds, so I'm not exactly sure what they are) then the last one we have is an Ameraucana pullet, my daughter loves the Ameraucanas.

The original 11 laying hens we had were so amazing, they laid an egg every single day! They only missed 1 day a month. They even laid throughout their molt, all through the extreme heat and the dead of winter. Last winter they took a 2 week break from laying but continued to lay even during the zero temperatures! I know people say that's not possible but it happened with my girls, they were so dependable!

Now since I've messed with their group, by selling some and adding some, and also since they're older, we haven't found an egg anywhere since June!
So, we're not quite sure what's going on. With the exception of the past week and a half we've been having a heat index between 105-120 degrees.
I know they're laying somewhere, they have to be, I just don't know where. They've always laid in their nesting boxes but I guess with the heat they're laying some place cooler.

I'd like to get my flock all changed over to Rhode Island Reds....I think.
smile.png

I love my chickens, they are like pets to me-well two in particular- I can actually put them to sleep by rubbing the back of their neck! It's so cute.

Hope I did this right.
Shana

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas, shana09! Happy you joined BYC!!
celebrate.gif
Not sure what to think about why you aren't getting eggs...might be some anxiety due to the addition of birds. I know very little about hens. Someone on here knows the answer I'll bet! Best of luck to you!
D.gif

WelcometoBYC_by5LadyHens.gif

Hi Shana09! I hope you find the stash of eggs your chickens have been laying. You say you've been
rearranging the flock quite a bit and I know chickens are sensitive to that. Maybe they are protesting
until you show them that they are there to stay!
tongue.png
Lisa

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. You might want to pen them up for a couple days to refresh their memory on where they are suppose to lay but the heat can stress them enough for them to stop laying.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom