New member introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bosthens, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Bosthens

Bosthens New Egg

Oct 21, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I just stumbled upon the BYC website and this forum as I started googling to learn more about chickens. I soon realized there is a wealth of information here and a healthy, friendly place to gather it and share my own, albeit, limited knowledge at this point. I just moved to a 5 acre place in the country and adopting a flock of chickens is at the top of my priority list. The property has a barn and a few outbuildings but none of them are fit as is for housing chickens. Just last weekend I found a room in the barn that I had overlooked. It is just about perfect for chickens-- and several of them. I was hoping to get some grown laying hens on Craigslist but am finding that chickens are very popular in this area (Kansas) and have all been sold by the time I email or call the seller which is usually later the day or not longer than the day after the seller posts his/her chicks for sale. I may end up getting baby chicks and raising them myself but will need to do a lot more homework about proper care before I go that route. I also didn't realize there are so many different breeds of chickens so I need to find out more about what kind(s) would be a good fit here for me. Any tips or other suggestions would be welcome. I look forward to good company and conversation.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Glad you joined us. This is a great place to learn, share, and enjoy!

[​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Check the kansas thread, someone there may have some. Or post a wanted ad on craigslist.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

8. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Have you tried the Chicken Breed Selection Tool , yet? It might help you pick out some breeds that are of interest to you. Good luck [​IMG]

10. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by