New Member looking for egg-laying hen

sacchicken931

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sacramento
Hi,
My name is Eddie. I live in Sacramento. I just found out that I am allowed to have chickens in my backyard. I am looking at various designs and already have a spot picked out. I only want 2 hens as a start. My quandary though is whether I start with unhatched eggs or buy a starter chicken. Can someone point me to a resource that could sell me a starter chicken and/or sexed pullets? I imagine the sexed pullet eggs are quite a bit cheaper than a grown hen.
Thank you

well, hatching eggs will require an incubator. If you get one day chicks, which we did , you can buy pullets(females) straight run will be mostly males. Chicks can run from 2 bucks to 6. Hens that lay will run you 10-30 depending on the breed.

Also you must consider what color eggs do you want? SOme breeds also don't lay as well. Min orders for most places are 25. www.mypetchicken.com it is 3 but they will put in packing peanuts(roo's) for warmth.

Can you find a tractor supply or feed store locally? they will carry ones such as barred rocks and rhode island red. Both lay excellent broen eggs.

I also would check www.craigslist.org for chicks. But before you buy, look at there older birds . make sure it's not filthy and ask questions. i have seen them for 3 bucks on there and you don't pay shipping

Best of luck
heather

Last edited:
It sounds like you need some basic info. A pullet is a young female chicken. If you want to be certain you get females, you will need to buy sex link chicks, started pullets, or hens. Eggs cannot be sexed before hatching and most people do not have the skill to sex a baby chick; this sort of sexing is only about 90% accurate anyway. Sex links are cross breeds that can be sexed at hatching by color. You should check out The Learning Center section of this forum.

Hopefully, you can find a local source for your chickens on BYC in the buy sell trade section.

welcome-byc.gif
from PA!

welcome-byc.gif
from SE MO! If you are certain you only want hens its best to get pullets who are old enough to be reliably evaluated. You can try a wtb add on here after you've chosen your breed. If you don't care what kind, ask for mutts.

Back
Top Bottom