New Member - Nankin Bantams

MROO

Enabler
6 Years
Feb 26, 2018
The North-Eastern Corner of Maryland
Hi!
I've been lurking around the outskirts of the Backyard Chickens site for a couple of years, but only recently got brave enough to join and post. So here goes...

We're a 4H family. Although we live within small-town limits, we have farming family, so most of our livestock experience is in showing horses and dairy cattle - Guernseys, the biggest golden retrievers in the world! While searching for Guernsey info, my children found the Livestock Conservancy website. Guernsey cattle were listed as Threatened, along with a long list of other heritage breeds the world is in danger of losing to "progress." Among the critically endangered cattle, horses and other assorted livestock, my kids found chickens - lots of chickens! Critically Endangered Chickens. Go figure.

As it turns out, I had Nankins as a child, and never knew they were rare. Maybe they weren't, then. To us, they were just really sweet little banties. The stories started flowing, and we ended up HAVING to get some Nankins. It took us two years and a six hour drive to find them, but they were worth it! I'd forgotten how rewarding - and entertaining - chicken keeping could be.

We now have a small backyard flock of Nannies, with a token Silkie (who thinks he's a house rooster) and a handful of very tiny bantam peeps that we're pretty sure are Sebrights. Only time will tell. We've converted our wooden playhouse/sandbox to a coop/ run .. and we're off! Now, if I could only figure out what to do with the rooster in my back room...

Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
There are many (too many) species of birds and animals being threaten now days. I mostly raise true pheasants, they are getting harder to obtain and becoming threatened or endangered in their native country of origin due to habitat loss. Really a sad state of affairs.:hmm

Last edited:
G’Day from down under MROO :frow Welcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom