New member, new backyarder as well

rajanomm

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
Shawnee
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yep. My mother raised chickens when I was a child, but didn'treally haveme participate. Hoping to get my new birds in the next couple of months.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None, but I'm pouring through advertisements now.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I've done a bit of reading, and I've got a plan. I'm wanting guineas for tick control and watch dogs. I have always liked guineas when I've seen them. Because I have read that guineas aren't the best brooders, I've decided to also get a couple of silkie chicks to raise with my guineas. I want to free range my guineas and I would like them to be a bit less guinea like (lol, i know), so I am looking at barred rock hens (2) to raise my keets. I can get my eggs and not worry the guineas will bully them too much.

If it looks like my plan is a bit half baked, any suggestions are welcome.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I found this wonderful site while learning what I can before purchasing my birds.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love reading.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have 2 boys and 1 baby girl. We just moved in with my father due to his health. Now that we live in the country, I want to take advantage of it. The boys are excited about getting some farm animals, and they can't wait to help. Our chihuahuas will probably not be too happy at first when we finally get our birds, but I'm sure they will learn to get along.

Last edited:
Greetings! Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad you decided to join. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
big_smile.png

Welcome , you have some good idea re: hatching and raising guineas - but, you'll have to actually try them out to see if they work. I hope you will let us know if it does work out.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Be careful of your chihuahuas around your chickens as dogs and chickens typically do not mix well. We get lots of letters from new members who are horrified because their seemingly benign dog (even small breeds like chihuahuas) suddenly and unexpectedly started chasing and killing their chickens. And once a dog has killed a chicken, it's next to impossible to break them from doing it again. Unfortunately, dogs usually seem to view chickens as either prey or else chew toys. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock and your dogs.

Thank you to everyone for the welcome. I am excited to report after a good phone call tonight, I will be picking up 2 barred rock hens next week. Hopefully we can get the coop and pen finished by then. If not, we will have to kennel them at night and set up a makeshift pen for the day. No turning back now.

Back
Top Bottom