New member, new backyarder as well

I'm not too worried about the dogs. Unless the birds decide to join the poochies in the dog fence next to the house, the worst the dogs can do is bark at them....a lot. LOL Our biggest concern is the stray cats and the unleashed dogs out here in the country. I'm worried some one elses pet may get to them. That is the problem my mom used to have.

I'm not too worried about the dogs. Unless the birds decide to join the poochies in the dog fence next to the house, the worst the dogs can do is bark at them....a lot. LOL Our biggest concern is the stray cats and the unleashed dogs out here in the country. I'm worried some one elses pet may get to them. That is the problem my mom used to have.
Both of those can certainly happen. If there is a fence to fly over, there is always some chickens dumb enough to fly over it no matter what kind of danger lies on the other side. And there are BYC members have lots of stories about neighbor dogs who killed their chickens.

The dog fence is only about 2 or 3 feet high. If goofy birds get in with the chihuahuas, they can easily get out. Hopefully the birds will stay in the yard, it's big enough, but the bugs are always juicier on the other side of the fence..lol. I've already warned my next door neighbors of the guineas joining the neighborhood. I'm crossing my fingers that I can manage to keep them safe.

welcome-byc.gif
Hi there!! So glad you decided to join our flock!! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have!! I own 8 Barred Rocks, females, who are just under 1 week old!! I love to ride horses, I've been taking lessons for just over 2 years! I enjoy volunteering at my horse barn, a dog training facility, and a goat farm...Animals are my life!!!!
ya.gif

I picked up my first 2 chickens today. They seem like sweet girls. I don't think they were treated too well. The guy I bought them from was overwhelmed. He started last year and had over 100 chickens. The girls are quite hen pecked. I had to treat some sores and one poor girl has a split beak. They seemed over joyed to see grass and get to scratch to their heart's content in green. I wanted them for eggs, but I feel even better knowing I'm giving them a better home.

My 2 barred rock hens are doing great. I think they appreciate their new home, and have even grown since I picked them up. They are friendly, but do not care much for being handled.
About 5 weeks ago I picked up 3 BR pullet chicks, 3 buff orpington pullet chicks, and a buff orpington cockerel chick. The buffs pullets are finally fully feathered and wow, they are pretty. The buff cockerel is finally starting to get his feathers. He looks like a deranged lunatic..lol. He has crazy eyes, and his beak and comb colors with them make him look like a serial killer chicken. Good thing he is mild mannered. The BR pullets are feathered, but look so small compared to the buffs. They are quite fiesty and brave. You can definitely tell who is top of the pecking order. I was supposed to get keets this month, but I'm starting to think that's going to fall through. The woman hatching them has had problems with her brooders. She has lost at least half of her eggs, and isn't sure how viable the rest are. I'm sad. I bought the food and items needed, and ticks are so bad. I really wanted some tick eaters for next year.

Back
Top Bottom