new member, new sickly chick

newmarch2014

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Hello all, I am just beginning my foray into a flock. This last weekend we got 6 chicks from the local feed store 3 B.O. and 3 R.I.R. They are being kept in a kiddie pool with pine shavings pretty thick on the floor of it, a plastic waterer and feeder (containing medicated chick feed) from the feedstore and a chick stick and a heat lamp. They have all seemed content, nobody huddled under the heat lamp nobody over in the cool side of the pool. All seemed fine this morning, we got them Saturday and it is now Thursday, one possible start of pasty butt on one of them on the day they came home but I cleaned it and their butts have been as clean as a whistle since. They have never been outside, I have changed their water 3 times in the 5 days even though it is entirely clear other than the pine shavings I scoop out of the trough twice a day. NOW for the problem. One of the R.I.R's is lethargic. I have pulled her from the others and put her in the bathroom in a bucket with sugar water and feed and a heat lamp. She is standing some and has ate and drank since I put her in there a couple hours ago and she has pooed very normal looking no blood all in a soft pellet poo. She was laying down when I went to check on them and the rest ran her over and then she did not get up and when I picked her up she was not her fiesty self at all and just layed in my hand like a dying chick. When I put her in her confinement space she just layed all sprawled out. Now that she has ate and drank she is standing and cheeping.... should I keep her in her isolation? how long? what criteria must she meet to be put back with the rest of the flock? Am I doing all I should? Thanks in advance.
Sherri

Hello all, I am just beginning my foray into a flock. This last weekend we got 6 chicks from the local feed store 3 B.O. and 3 R.I.R. They are being kept in a kiddie pool with pine shavings pretty thick on the floor of it, a plastic waterer and feeder (containing medicated chick feed) from the feedstore and a chick stick and a heat lamp. They have all seemed content, nobody huddled under the heat lamp nobody over in the cool side of the pool. All seemed fine this morning, we got them Saturday and it is now Thursday, one possible start of pasty butt on one of them on the day they came home but I cleaned it and their butts have been as clean as a whistle since. They have never been outside, I have changed their water 3 times in the 5 days even though it is entirely clear other than the pine shavings I scoop out of the trough twice a day. NOW for the problem. One of the R.I.R's is lethargic. I have pulled her from the others and put her in the bathroom in a bucket with sugar water and feed and a heat lamp. She is standing some and has ate and drank since I put her in there a couple hours ago and she has pooed very normal looking no blood all in a soft pellet poo. She was laying down when I went to check on them and the rest ran her over and then she did not get up and when I picked her up she was not her fiesty self at all and just layed in my hand like a dying chick. When I put her in her confinement space she just layed all sprawled out. Now that she has ate and drank she is standing and cheeping.... should I keep her in her isolation? how long? what criteria must she meet to be put back with the rest of the flock? Am I doing all I should? Thanks in advance.
Sherri

Sounds like you were right to separate her. She may not have been eating and drinking enough. If the other chicks sense a weakness they will often pick a on weak chick. I would keep her separate for a few days to make sure she is gaining strength. A mirror will help her to not feel so alone.
smile.png

Oh thanks for that, I was worried about her being alone because I read they do not do good alone, will look for a mirror.

Oh thanks for that, I was worried about her being alone because I read they do not do good alone, will look for a mirror.
If you are a new chicken keeper,i would suggest you become very knowledgeable regarding Coccidiosis. Cocci is the leading cause of death among chicks and kills very fast. if you see any symptoms never wait,purchase a coccidiostat such as Corid and treat ALL birds immediately,treating chicks for coccidiosis will not harm them,but not treating if they have coccidiosis will result in deaths.

Some symptoms are: runny/watery poop(may or MAY NOT contain blood,depends on which strain it is and only 2 strains have blood as a symptom,the other 9 do not)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating /drinking. If one has it,they all will. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings.

Chicks on medicated feed can still have an overload/outbreak of cocci and once they have it,medicated feed will do nothing to help. Purchase Corid(amprolium) if a cocci outbreak is suspected. Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete. Make sure medicated water is the only source of drinking water.

Thanks...can they get it even though they have never been outside and all thier stuff is brand spankin new? her poo is not runny, just med brown fully formed pellet shape.

Thanks...can they get it even though they have never been outside and all thier stuff is brand spankin new? her poo is not runny, just med brown fully formed pellet shape.
Yes! Cocci thrives in brooder settings. She may not have coccidiosis,but i always recommend new chicken keepers to become knowledgeable regarding cocci just in case.

Thanks I had read a bit on it. She seems to be on a roller coaster hour by hour, I think she is doing better and then she gets quiet and sits and sways a bit. She has ate quite a bit and drank a bit though not as much as normal (I spend a lot of time studying them).

Thanks I had read a bit on it. She seems to be on a roller coaster hour by hour, I think she is doing better and then she gets quiet and sits and sways a bit. She has ate quite a bit and drank a bit though not as much as normal (I spend a lot of time studying them).
Is it possible to put one chick with her,this way she will not be alone. Pick one that appears the most docile out of the bunch,see if they snuggle together.
Try adding water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)most chicks love this and it is easier for frail ones to eat.

Make sure she is kept warm.

Last edited:
Hi there,
I have 2 newly hatched bantam golden lace Cochins . One of my chicks that is 4 days old today starting bobbing her head back and forth and some time walks in circles.
She is eating and drinking, very active and seems to be healthy aside for this lastest thing.
Any similar experiences out there and advice.
I can't imagine fleas or mites already as they are in the house, and I have no other animals.
Are they too young to put in some DE as a precautionary measure? Funny thing is the other chick is not experiencing this.

Thank you

ChicknGal I would start your own thread if I were you so that it gets more notice. The little sicky is definitely doing worse. I am really sad that she is the one to die the darn B.O. are way more skittish and difficult to catch than the R.I.R's they are all very sweet when I pick them up. :(

Back
Top Bottom