New Member, New with the critters

unseen1

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Couple of questions

1. Any good ways to keep the dog from trying to eat the birds? He is a good dog, but he sees the birds and thinks it is dinner time.

2. Can the birds take human antibotics if needed?

Any input would be appreaciated

Thanks

Hi there... I have 2 month old blue slate which just roam about, one of my dogs (american cocker) will try and sneak up on them once in a while... and the geese too but the border collie and shepherd don't even look at them, the dogs respond immediately to verbal correction.

the chickens on the other hand are another thing... the shepherd goes ape poop for them!!

Don't know about the antibiotics though.

He has actually has killed a couple of the chikens, and the guineas:mad:

The reason I ask bout the antibiotics is that he got hold of one of the turkeys and took a piece out of him. I have cleaned the wound, and been trying to keep it clean. I have a concern that he could still get a system wide infection though.

Turkeys are, as a rule, pretty tough. If the wound is clean (if wound is covered with feathers a bit of Adam's tick and flea spray rubbed on feathers will dissuade egg laying flys (maggots) from lighting on wound. However, the additional stress from being exposed to an aggressive dog (even if on the other side of a fence) can go a long way to promoting poor immune response, infection and eventual death. Cephalexin 250mg bid will do.

Chain the dog on a section of the property where it has no access/line of sight to your birds. Or, keep the dog and rehome the birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom