New Member North of Milwaukee

puddleglumWI

Chirping
Feb 3, 2023
Eastern WI - almost to the Lake
Hello all,

I am going to be moving to the family farm this spring and want to get chickens. Probably a flock of 12-18.

I am mostly interested in eggs, but my parents, who own the farm, might be interested in raising a few birds for meat. That means I would have a little extra work, but they live nearby, would help a bit, and would be available to tend the chickens if I go away for a weekend or for vacation. I am interested in dual purpose heritage breeds, and in having the ability to sustain the flock by raising chicks.

I have worked a little bit on a ranch in California where they raised Freedom Rangers, I really liked the mobile poultry netting and mobile coops, it made a lot of sense to me. I didn't have a lot to do with the chicken rearing at the ranch, so I am pretty much a newb, but it seems like a 3-4 acre farmyard should provide ample space for moving the chickens around regularly to fresh foraging and pooping grounds.

I work from home so I would be around during the day to provide fresh water in the summer, and other tasks to keep things running well.

I guess that is enough for an intro. I look forward to learning from you all as I pose questions.

Thank you,
-pg

Welcome!
Are you thinking of building a large walk-in coop or would you prefer one that moves around?

Predators are real. Remember whatever you choose to build that chicken wire is not predator proof. Half inch hardware cloth will be your friend even though it's a little bit expensive.

Welcome!
Are you thinking of building a large walk-in coop or would you prefer one that moves around?

Predators are real. Remember whatever you choose to build that chicken wire is not predator proof. Half inch hardware cloth will be your friend even though it's a little bit expensive.
I definitely want to have something mobile. The chickshaw design looks interesting, along with electric netting. But it wouldn’t be good for winter.

A thought I had was to build a permanent stationary coop with a covered run for the winter, and then have a small mobile coop for the summer to move them around. A permanent coop could be handy for raising chicks in the summer as well.

Back
Top Bottom