New member of BYC, long time reader!!

sneakyangel2000

Hatching
Oct 12, 2015
Hi everyone!! I have been reading the forums on this site for quite some time. I got my first small flock in March, lil puff balls, that have turned into beautiful golden comet hens. I have a congested sounding girl...her eyes are clear and there is no mucus to be seen. AT first she just stood around, didn't scratch or she would lay in spot under her bush. She seemed to stand funny...the others backs were more horizontal, but she would lay, and she did get up on her roost. Her appetite is decreasing rapidly, even her favorite treat, blueberries were a little peck. I have isolated her, she is in a dog crate in the house so I can keep a close eye on her, and she isn't drinking much on her own. I have added electrolytes to the water and squirt some into her mouth. She has free choice of oyster shell, her regular feel, and her treats. I have tried the Duramycin, and yet there is no improvement, now she won't even eat her blueberries. None of my other girls are acting sick.Everything I read said to cull her, but I'm not sure that is the right thing to do. Can a chicken catch a virus and it just needs to run it's course?? I am watching my other girls quite close too now, just to see if anyone else starts acting strange. any help and advise, please. I just want to fix her and get back with her crew.
Thanks for having in BYC!!
Rachel

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Chickens don't get colds so it sounds like there is something going on. You may want to try posting on the "emergencies forum" and see if anyone there can help ID what you are dealing with and how to treat it. In the meantime, you may want to keep her away from the others, though they have already been exposed now.

Good luck!

I would recommend posting in full detail at the ER thread as well. Have you checked her crop, for any issues like impaction?

welcome-byc.gif

Here's a link to the emergency forum, give as much info as you can on your sick girl and all her symptoms. I hope all will be ok with her and she can re-join the flock soon.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom