New member, pretty new to chickens too :)

greengeek

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
Hi everyone, I am a new member and just wanted to introduce myself. I am from Ontario Canada and just got my first 6 chickens 6 weeks ago. And got 12 more tonight :) safe to say I like having chickens! The first six were purchased from a large poultry farming operation - they were "finished laying" and destined for slaughter that night. I have so many eggs I don't know what to do with them, lol! I guess no one told the chickens they are done laying. Even if they are, I wanted a cadre of garden helpers so they are welcome, eggs or not.

Great info and conversations on this site!

Hello from Tennessee! Newbie here myself but glad you joined and hope to hear from you. i am no expert but I know some stuff.
jumpy.gif

Greetings from Washington, and welcome. I just joined last week, but I have been lurking around this site since before we got our first girls back in April. We started with 14 back then, but already I have built a second, larger, coop and we are up to 44. No telling where this will go, but it sure is a lot of fun!!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Those hens must know you saved their lives and now they are rewarding you! But, seriously, commercial egg farms get rid of hens at a certain age, even through they're still in production. They want them to lay 100% and when they slow down, they're out. Good for you though! You should sell some of the surplus eggs to help pay for their food.

Back
Top Bottom