New Member: Rhode Island

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BobGRI, Mar 11, 2011.

1. BobGRI

BobGRI Chirping

Mar 11, 2011
    Hi,

I'm Bob, we just moved into our new house and we'd like to raise a few chickens for eggs and the relaxation. It's not an issue in our town to raise them. I figured this would be a good place to start. I'll be doing plenty of searches for tips on learning and starting from scratch.
    We have three dogs a Rat Terrier, King Charles Cavalier Spaniel and a German Shepherd. They were all raised around plenty of cats with out any issues. Happily they don't seem be be bothered by all the wild life in their new country setting.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Just keep an eye on the dogs until they get comfortable with being around the chickens!

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] You're bound to find the answers to all your questions here!

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] you'll love BYC!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi Bob! Nice to meet you. I hope your chicken venture goes well. You mentioned that your dogs seem to have no problems with cats. While that's good, if I were you, I wouldn't assume that you will have no problems with your dogs and your chickens. All three breeds of dogs you mention are known to (as a breed, not necessarily the individual dogs) have a high prey drive. You should take every precaution to make sure the dogs become acquainted with the chickens under supervision only, and that the chickens have a safe, predator proof home and run. Again, [​IMG]

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Welcome to BYC from Nevada! [​IMG] Good luck with your new flock. [​IMG]

8. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG] from GA!

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Songster

Oct 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, TX
    Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

10. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: