1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member starting a flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silvercitydude, Jan 10, 2016.

1. silvercitydude

silvercitydude New Egg

Jan 9, 2016
    Good People,
    Thank you for your help and forgive my ignorance. I am hoping to start a flock of chickens. We have a nice patch of family land that has large covered aviarys my grandfather used to raise peacocks in. I can keep chickens in these nice large foragable pens or let them free range. I want my hens to go broody and be good mothers, I want my roosters to protect. I like eggs, but am much more interested in flock growing and using birds for meat as flock grows. I am looking for info on breeds that might fit, or multiple breeds. I am not overly concerned about a pure line. I am in SC. I should mention I am already raising Mucovy ducks. They are awesome and Bob White quail, the are not awesome.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

2. jimbob86

jimbob86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Nebraska
    My Coop
    A dual purpose breed that broods well, with protective roos ..... not concerned with a pure line ......

Orpington hens and a Barred Rock roo?

3. calpal212

calpal212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    If you like eggs and want broody mothers I would suggest a mixed flock of leghorns (for eggs) and cochins (for good mothers) as for a rooster I would look online for an older roo that people are trying to get rid of that you know it is protective

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Roosters are only protective to a point- they aren't going to defeat most predators. So the flock would still be in danger. The best a rooster can do is sound the alarm so his hens will run and hide, if possible.

5. silvercitydude

silvercitydude New Egg

Jan 9, 2016
    I have someone who has offered a cukoo maran rooster. I also have someone who will trade me amerecaunas or barred rocks hens for some quail. Any thoughts on those breeds. I think I should relist my priority.

1. Mothering
    2. Carcass
    3. Eggs
    My space is well protected from larger predators. Would love a rooster that would harrass old Mr. No Shoulders (snake) when he comes around
    Thank you for all your great feedback already.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Quote:If you take the BR hens, get yourself a nice rooster that can be put over them to result in sex linked chicks (one of the most common is to use a RIR or NHR, but there are plenty of options - you can refer to this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information for some great information) -- that would eliminate the offered Maran.

7. CLSranch

CLSranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    NE OK
    I switched to Dark Cornish because of the what some call excessive broodieness and I can eat the extra cockerels. Having a barred rock roo in the mix wouldn't hurt.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us and good luck with your plans!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by