New member starting a flock

silvercitydude

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
Good People,
Thank you for your help and forgive my ignorance. I am hoping to start a flock of chickens. We have a nice patch of family land that has large covered aviarys my grandfather used to raise peacocks in. I can keep chickens in these nice large foragable pens or let them free range. I want my hens to go broody and be good mothers, I want my roosters to protect. I like eggs, but am much more interested in flock growing and using birds for meat as flock grows. I am looking for info on breeds that might fit, or multiple breeds. I am not overly concerned about a pure line. I am in SC. I should mention I am already raising Mucovy ducks. They are awesome and Bob White quail, the are not awesome.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

calpal212

Chirping
Nov 30, 2015
Southern Colorado
If you like eggs and want broody mothers I would suggest a mixed flock of leghorns (for eggs) and cochins (for good mothers) as for a rooster I would look online for an older roo that people are trying to get rid of that you know it is protective

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Roosters are only protective to a point- they aren't going to defeat most predators. So the flock would still be in danger. The best a rooster can do is sound the alarm so his hens will run and hide, if possible.

silvercitydude

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
I have someone who has offered a cukoo maran rooster. I also have someone who will trade me amerecaunas or barred rocks hens for some quail. Any thoughts on those breeds. I think I should relist my priority.

1. Mothering
2. Carcass
3. Eggs
My space is well protected from larger predators. Would love a rooster that would harrass old Mr. No Shoulders (snake) when he comes around
Thank you for all your great feedback already.

CLSranch

Crowing
5 Years
Sep 23, 2015
NE OK
I switched to Dark Cornish because of the what some call excessive broodieness and I can eat the extra cockerels. Having a barred rock roo in the mix wouldn't hurt.

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us and good luck with your plans!

Top Bottom