New member Washington State

Sbuttercups

Chirping
Dec 3, 2020
I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I raise Sicilian Buttercups and am a member of the Livestock Conservancy. Proud parent ( lol ) of 32 hens and 6 roosters.
They do keep me busy especially this time of year. Where we moved after we sold our house to retire to snows and gets pretty cold so extra work keeping their combs from getting frostbite. I ran into a new situation ( not with the children with feathers) but the purchaser of a trio of two pullets and a cockeral. I always keep track of anyone who gets them for my records and also to work on the preservation of them and where they are. I also have them vaccinated for salmonella, coccidi, and mareks. The lady also purchased one black Australorp pullet and a cockeral. Admittedly I love the Australorps but my knowledge of them is limited. All the youngsters were hatched in June so the cockeral and pullets grew up together. They live in a beautiful aviary with lilac trees etc. ( Sicilians actually prefer to sleep in trees ) . I tried to give her a little tutorial on the Buttercups ( the good and the negative.) I requested her address etc for my records which she didn't send. She now after two days wants to keep the Australorps but return the Sicilians. She first said they were getting beat up by her chickens. I asked how bad she said that they had beaten up her white chicken but didn't see any damage to the Sicilians. Two different stories. I am concerned about taking them back and giving a refund as I now will need a place to quarantine them if I do take them back. I told her a little feather picking is normal in establishing a pecking order at first. They are now in a smaller coop and run it looks like and her "two hens" are actually from the photos she sent an orpington pullet or hen and a barred rock rooster. I told her to introduce them slowly. I also told her that if she did have a rooster to not allow them together as the Australorp and the Sicilian rooster would need to be separated eventually and to not allow the Sicilian Buttercups to interbreed. She threw them all together and now wants to return the Sicilians as " they aren't working out". What to do? Any advice is really needed. My first thought is to ask her to return them all including the Australorps but...? I'm concerned for all their well being at this point. 🤯

I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I raise Sicilian Buttercups and am a member of the Livestock Conservancy. Proud parent ( lol ) of 32 hens and 6 roosters.
They do keep me busy especially this time of year. Where we moved after we sold our house to retire to snows and gets pretty cold so extra work keeping their combs from getting frostbite. I ran into a new situation ( not with the children with feathers) but the purchaser of a trio of two pullets and a cockeral. I always keep track of anyone who gets them for my records and also to work on the preservation of them and where they are. I also have them vaccinated for salmonella, coccidi, and mareks. The lady also purchased one black Australorp pullet and a cockeral. Admittedly I love the Australorps but my knowledge of them is limited. All the youngsters were hatched in June so the cockeral and pullets grew up together. They live in a beautiful aviary with lilac trees etc. ( Sicilians actually prefer to sleep in trees ) . I tried to give her a little tutorial on the Buttercups ( the good and the negative.) I requested her address etc for my records which she didn't send. She now after two days wants to keep the Australorps but return the Sicilians. She first said they were getting beat up by her chickens. I asked how bad she said that they had beaten up her white chicken but didn't see any damage to the Sicilians. Two different stories. I am concerned about taking them back and giving a refund as I now will need a place to quarantine them if I do take them back. I told her a little feather picking is normal in establishing a pecking order at first. They are now in a smaller coop and run it looks like and her "two hens" are actually from the photos she sent an orpington pullet or hen and a barred rock rooster. I told her to introduce them slowly. I also told her that if she did have a rooster to not allow them together as the Australorp and the Sicilian rooster would need to be separated eventually and to not allow the Sicilian Buttercups to interbreed. She threw them all together and now wants to return the Sicilians as " they aren't working out". What to do? Any advice is really needed. My first thought is to ask her to return them all including the Australorps but...? I'm concerned for all their well being at this point. 🤯
Welcome, fellow Washingtonian! Great to have you!

Hello! Welcome to BYC!
That's a tough one.
on one hand, I too would worry about the safety and health of the birds there. but personally, I would not risk bringing them back and risking the health of my flocks.
I know. That concerns me the me the most. It is a tough one because I don't want a breed that is on the critical list that I'm working so hard to improve and preserve to go by the wayside somewhere. Also it's tough because as a member of the Livestock Conservancy I have a responsibility to be a responsible individual. I think she is working up to wanting her money back. ( the least of the issue on my end.) My Daughter in her all knowing 30s wisdom said don't take them back. Oh the pain of it all... the word of 2020. To quarantine or not...

Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join us! I love meeting fellow Washingtonians!

You seem to be in a tough situation. If you decided to take them back you have to be extremely careful, because you don't want to infect your existing flock as you seem to have already realized. Try providing her with tips to help intigrate them. Or recommend she try and sell them, as it sounds they are high quality birds, and people love vaccinated birds and they are vaccinated.

In reality I don't have many tips as I have never been in a situation like this. Hopefully someone with a LOT more experience can help you. There are tons of people with way more experience than I! As I'm sure you will quickly learn, based on their excellent advice.

Hope it works out! and welcome to BYC!

Hello! Welcome to BYC!
That's a tough one.
on one hand, I too would worry about the safety and health of the birds there. but personally, I would not risk bringing them back and risking the health of my flocks.
Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join us! I love meeting fellow Washingtonians!

You seem to be in a tough situation. If you decided to take them back you have to be extremely careful, because you don't want to infect your existing flock as you seem to have already realized. Try providing her with tips to help intigrate them. Or recommend she try and sell them, as it sounds they are high quality birds, and people love vaccinated birds and they are vaccinated.

In reality I don't have many tips as I have never been in a situation like this. Hopefully someone with a LOT more experience can help you. There are tons of people with way more experience than I! As I'm sure you will quickly learn, based on their excellent advice.

I can't run the risk as I've been working for a couple years now on the preservation and improvement on the Sicilians. They haven't had any new bloodlines since the 1970s so it's a grueling process. I know of only one other person on the west coast named Benjamin Janicki that is trying to preserve them also. I've tried tips, also they have 8 acres so my first thought is to be hardcore and tell them to figure out where to put them. She won't listen to tips or advice. My only thought as I keep records on anyone who has them it to recommend she has them euthanized at the vet's if she can't handle them. I would rather see that than have them abused or interbred or end up with dueling roosters.

I can't run the risk as I've been working for a couple years now on the preservation and improvement on the Sicilians. They haven't had any new bloodlines since the 1970s so it's a grueling process. I know of only one other person on the west coast named Benjamin Janicki that is trying to preserve them also. I've tried tips, also they have 8 acres so my first thought is to be hardcore and tell them to figure out where to put them. She won't listen to tips or advice. My only thought as I keep records on anyone who has them it to recommend she has them euthanized at the vet's if she can't handle them. I would rather see that than have them abused or interbred or end up with dueling roosters.
What I meant is I can't run the risk of cross contamination in my flock which is finally up to 7 roosters and 29 hens. Even though they have all been vaccinated if anything new was brought back it could wipe out my whole flock whom I dearly love. ( feathered kids)

Back
Top Bottom