New Member with a Predator Problem in Texas

ecoxley69

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Plantersville, TX
Hello y'all! Checking in here from Texas. I have a small mixed flock that just got smaller in the last few weeks. My flock is now down to five and just starting laying this week after moving them to a new pen and adding a new rooster. My hens are Helen - an Americauna, Tiffani - a Buff Orpington, Lucy - a red sex link, and Ethel and Red are Rhode Island Reds. My pictured rooster, Jack, was a South Jersey Giant, but sadly died defending his hens from a predator. My new rooster, Doc, is a California Poullet?, still learning about him. Definitely not as gentle as my jack. I originally also had Barred Rocks and Wyndots, but I lost eight hens in three days to a predator I still haven't caught. So we built the new pen. My girls were all born in April and happily two (or three) have started laying, so hopefully they feel safer now. I'm new to this so any suggestions help. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your predator problems. Kelsie gave you the link to the P&P section. Have a browse through there for tips on how to secure your coop and catch that beastie. Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
Just build and over build. If you can't bust in, neither can they. Make sure nothing can dig, chew, claw or break into any area of the coop or run.

Welcome to our flock!

It's a buyers market for roosters. Please don't settle for one that isn't gentle and good with people and the hens. So very many worthwhile roosters are destined for the stewpot because no one will take them. Due to zoning and HOA regulations most people aren't allowed to keep roosters.

If you don't intend to breed purebreds, any good tempered beautiful rooster should be fine for you.

Go to "where am I, where are you," in the social thread to locate and post on your state thread. If you tell them you are looking for a really nice, gentle rooster - I bet you get offers of several.

Once you have 20 posts you can participate on the BTC buy-sell-trade forum. There is even a section where free animals are offered for rehoming. These are not culls. Show quality Roosters or cockerels of various breeds are available. You also could put in a "wanted to buy ad."

Hope the predator is found and eliminated soon. Have you compared notes with other posters on the predator thread. By giving them details they may be able to tell you what type predator it was and how to dispatch it.

Welcome to BYC. You may also want to try some strands of electric fencing around you coop or bend to teach predators a lesson.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about your losses to a predator. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. The other members have given you some good advice and links. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom