New Member with a sick chicken

EYP stands for egg yolk peritonitis, sorry I should have explained! I see some of the possible causes have been mentioned by other posters. SaveAChick is an electrolyte mix in powder form that can be added to water. I usually keep a couple of small packs around, get them at the feed store

Welcome to BYC. I tend to agree with the others who are thinking that your BO may be suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, or even ascites (fluid in the lower abdomen.) Her droppings could be significant. Is there anything in the droppings that looks like “cooked egg matter?” Pictures of the droppings can help. The red material could be a bit of blood clot or some intestinal shed. I would concentrate on getting her to eat and drink normally, and keep her comfortable. If you should lose her in the future, you can find out what was going on by either getting a $20 necropsy by your state poultry lab, or do one yourself at home. With a home necropsy, you can take pictures of the abdominal organs, from the beginning when you open the abdomen, and also of the important organs (liver, intestines, gizzard, oviduct, spleen, etc.) We can have a look, and possibly give opinions. Here is where to contact in your state for a necropsy:
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/pdfs/CAHFS_NecropsyFactsheet.pdf

Did you feed her whole cherries?
If so suspect cyanide poison.
We do not give cherries because they cause major digestive problems especially bloat. Was she ok until the cherries?
You can give her charcoal to see if you can empty stomach.

Wow. who knew? It was confirmed that she was NOT given cherries. I had only suspected it when I saw the reddish color in the poop. Someone said there is an illness where they pass pieces of intestines?? Anyway, sadly to say she passed yesterday. Thank you for your help.

Welcome to BYC. I tend to agree with the others who are thinking that your BO may be suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, or even ascites (fluid in the lower abdomen.) Her droppings could be significant. Is there anything in the droppings that looks like “cooked egg matter?” Pictures of the droppings can help. The red material could be a bit of blood clot or some intestinal shed. I would concentrate on getting her to eat and drink normally, and keep her comfortable. If you should lose her in the future, you can find out what was going on by either getting a $20 necropsy by your state poultry lab, or do one yourself at home. With a home necropsy, you can take pictures of the abdominal organs, from the beginning when you open the abdomen, and also of the important organs (liver, intestines, gizzard, oviduct, spleen, etc.) We can have a look, and possibly give opinions. Here is where to contact in your state for a necropsy:
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/pdfs/CAHFS_NecropsyFactsheet.pdf
Thank you so much! You have been very helpful. I didn't realize I could do all this as a backyard chicken farmer. Sadly, she didn't make it. One thing I learned through this is to examine them more frequently. I was disappointed with her lack of laying. Before she quit laying, she was eating her own eggs for a couple of weeks. I find that odd because I always had oyster shell and grit available.

Ok, I meant like a light skin tone, not red. Was it red like a blood clot? That could be coccidiosis, but that would be unusual at 3 yrs old unless you’ve introduced new birds.

Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct. They can pass “lash eggs,” which aren’t eggs at all, but are layers of pus (the fleshy bits I mentioned. sometimes they are actually as big as eggs!)

Baytril for pigeons can be obtained online, as well as amoxicillin for fish. You cannot get them in stores in California, only from a vet.

The red was unidentifiable mixed in with the droppings, water I hosed the run with, and sand. I had scooped it into a bucket and when dumping that there was a reddish area on the bottom. It was completely dissolved. I do have new chicks that I have been keeping in a separate pen NEXT to the big girls to acclimate them. Could something be passed even if they are not in the same cages?
Thank you

Hi @Mamagal...you have gotten great advice from @micstrachan and @Wyorp Rock.
I’m in the east Bay Area too. There is vet care available but really it doesn’t move the dial too much around reproductive disorders. Heavy antibiotics or an implant that stops egg production (implant from a vet) might give you a bit of time. This is very common in hatchery chickens. We are all dealing with it.

Thanks for the info, Kathy. Good to know!

EYP stands for egg yolk peritonitis, sorry I should have explained! I see some of the possible causes have been mentioned by other posters. SaveAChick is an electrolyte mix in powder form that can be added to water. I usually keep a couple of small packs around, get them at the feed store
Thank you!

I am sorry to read that you lost your hen. It is always a good idea to watch for signs of possible coccidiosis in the new chicks, something we all do when there have been older chickens around. Symptoms include lethargy, standing around puffed up or hunched, poor appetite, runny pooops with mucus or blood, and weakness. Corid is usueful to treat it.

I am sorry to read that you lost your hen. It is always a good idea to watch for signs of possible coccidiosis in the new chicks, something we all do when there have been older chickens around. Symptoms include lethargy, standing around puffed up or hunched, poor appetite, runny pooops with mucus or blood, and weakness. Corid is usueful to treat it.

Thanks. So far my chicks are very active and healthy. I figure I would keep them out of the henhouse for a couple weeks after Buffy died. We have washed everything down with a vinegar wash, except the coop itself. My Americauna seems perfectly fine. Any suggestions as to how long to watch her for signs of illness before introducing/acclimating chicks?

Back
Top Bottom