New member with many questions

I am a new member but have been a long time reader of Back Yard Chickens. I have learned a lot and seldom wanted to comment. Well, can't comment without joining! LOL....I have a farm East of Monument Colorado for about 2 years now and have over 30 animals. I have chickens, ducks, geese, Alpacas, dogs and cats. I have learned some things on the forum but many times confused because so many people have different opinions which rightly so. Right now I am building a Farm/Ranch business in the wake of animal therapy! Yes, you heard right! Some people are like WHAT? Anyway, that don't bother me anymore! Some people are just not hip on animals in general or uneducated about them. I ma in the process of training a 4 month Indian Runner/Mallard male duck to be a therapy duck. They are out there believe or not! Just hard to find the right person to talk to about certification. I am also training him with toys and retrieving and tricks. He is awesome and funny to watch. Kids love him and I as well. It is also difficult to find a company who can actually make a fitted diaper/harness for my boy because he is part Indian Runner! Really! Yes, he will be going inside soon. Yes, I do a diaper/harness coming the mail but the first one sent is way to small and my boy went ballistic which I myself would have done! I was also told by this company that the diaper/harness may not fit a Indian Runner duck properly! Is there anyone in the world that knows WHY? Anyway, it would be nice to find a place or someone who could properly fit my poor July (his name). I am also crafty and can make or adjust something as well. But it is getting colder and I would like to get him side my home before it is freezing!! Thanks for any support in the matter! I have many questions beside my little sweetie pie!

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! I have indeed heard of therapy ducks. I think animals most certainly have a place in this field so you'll hear no complaint from me. But unfortunately I don't know much about harnesses or diapers for ducks either. Perhaps others will chime in with thoughts. Do the folks on the Ducks Forum have advice on such matters? Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

The problem is runner ducks are upright whereas other breeds are horizontal. Is his usual posture like a runner duck ? Gravity would pull the diaper down, I don't know how they could attach one.

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on checking in with the folks on the duck forum. If anyone has had any luck with Runner duck diapers, you will find them there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Thanks for joining us!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

I don't know a thing about ducks, but definitely follow the link to our ducks section that NFC has left for you.

Good luck with your projects and welcome to our roost! :)

Back
Top Bottom