New member with questions already

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stacyc, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Stacyc

Stacyc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi everyone, I have been visiting your awesome web sight for about a year now learning all I can about chickens. My coop will supposedly be ready in a month and am so excited to get my chickens and a few guinea hens for tick control. I live in Minnesota near the river so the ticks are many. You guys have so much practical info that its been really helpful. After much reading my question is this, my future hens will be free ranged on four fenced in acres, on said property are numerous white cedar trees and some other type of cedar trees along with ash and a few remaining elms. Earlier in the year my husband and I cut down quite a few just so we can keep the land manageable before everything gets to huge. It's amazing, like my own personal park. We chipped up many of these trees and have numerous piles of cedar chips scattered in a few areas in the woods, the girls will have access to these areas, I have read that cedar is bad for the birds, is this true only in enclosed areas and can they be harmed by being around the chip piles in the outdoors? Thank you for your input and look forward to posting pictures of my girls and their new home.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

Cedar chips are fine in open spaces. :)

3. My3ChicksMBD

My3ChicksMBD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    Welcome!!! I'm new too!!! I hope you like it around here!!! :)

4. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. Cedar causes repertory issues in lots of animals. From what ive researched and heard from different people Cedar has an aromatic oil in it that will irritate their respiratory system. Lots of people use pine although Pine can cause irritations as well but its said to be linked to an allergen. Your ventilation is important. Ive never had an issue with Pine.
    When my new coop is built im going to use sand on the floor & shavings in the nest boxes. Do lots of research & best of luck with your flock [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. What gryeyes said, "cedar chips are fine in open spaces".

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, stacyc, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best wishes to you and your flock!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Stacyc