New member with urgent need

Alamosweets

Hatching
Dec 14, 2015
Hello! My sister is moving to Kingsland (west of Marble Falls) and two peoe that said they could build a run for her 40 chickens have fallen through. She can't find anyone that can help her build one this week. If she doesn't she will have to give the chickens away and it will break her heart. When she lost her husband she tried to fill the hole he left with Boston Terriers and chickens. She loves both so much it will kill her to leave her chickens. Does anyone have any suggestions? She bought a prefab building from Home Depot just for her flock and only needs a secure run. Thank you so much for any help!

Sorry to hear your sisters dilemma, but a run is not that difficult to make. Go back to Home Depot and get some wire fencing and make an enclosure. Get those pound in stakes and a large hammer to pound into ground. If you are not a Pro, SO WHAT !!! DO THE BEST YOU CAN.. Anyone that would criticize you can kiss ur bushey, or just help you and sis do it. If you need more Ideas, just ask. Its OK to ask as much as you don;t know. You can be specific as well.
Wishing you best
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on cavemanrich's instructions. If you live in an area with predators (dogs, cats, coons, opossums, foxes, weasels, snakes, rats, etc.) be sure and use hardware cloth on your run instead of chicken wire as too many predators can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Make sure that you put hardware cloth across the top of the run and bury a couple of feet of it along the bottom of the run to prevent predators from digging underneath into the run. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi and welcome to BYC - I agree with other posts here - chickens don't care about things looking - they just need to be safe. My converted shed leaves a lot to be desired in terms of aesthetics but my flock don't seem to mind
1f60a.png

Good luck

Ct

welcome-byc.gif

I don't know where Kingsland or Marble Falls is but if you post on your state thread, maybe there is another member close by that could give a hand. And I agree with the others, looks aren't as important as getting it done quickly and keeping the birds safe. The fancy, pretty stuff can come later when time isn't pressing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Good luck to your sister, feel free to ask questions if needed.

Welcome Alamosweets
In a pinch I converted a dog kennel into a secure structure for my silkies.

She could put a couple of those together wrap it real quick with Chicken wire and with more than one she will have options to seperate inside and outside if she wants.

Just a thought.
Good Luck to you

welcome-byc.gif
There are loads of threads with ideas on chicken runs here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=chicken+run The only limiting factors are her budget and time. The flock should be o.k. "cooped up" for a few days, until she can make a plan with a run for them, though I would suggest tossing some entertainment in there, like a cabbage, flock block, or something to peck on.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Any chance she could free-range them? Otherwise, if you can locate some dog kennel panels, cover the bottom couple feet with hardware cloth and cover the top to keep out the hawks, you would have a good start. Otherwise, you might be able to try something like Angie's list to locate someone with the skills to build what she needs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom