new member with very important question

drclarksmith

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
I was interested in having two or three hens for personal organic egg production for the health benefits. My girlfriend tells me that there are covenants and restrictions to having farm animals where we live. I don't get it, we own our house and we are more than 100 yards from any other house if not more, and all these other houses are separated by woods. I wanted to ask all you out there if you have ever dealt with this in the past? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CJ

Hi, welcome to BYC.....
There are often restrictions about what and how many chickens u can keep in villages. I am lucky and even though i live right in town, I can keep as many chickens i want including roosters. Many of the towns around me do ahve restriction like only 3-4( no roosters) and they must be kept 30ft from the property line or something like that.
There might be restriction where u live, u just have to check w/ the village. ask more questions if u want more info too, we're happy to help.

Take a look on-line and see if your city/town has an on-line code book. Be sure to take a look at both the "animals" section as well as the zoning code. In my city, there was a very vague zoning code that stated that "animals may not be raised on less than 10 acres". A bit vague indeed.

Right now I'm working with a group trying to pass an ordinance that makes it legal to responsibly keep backyard chickens. If all goes well, we will (knock on wood) pass our ordinance by the end of the year. I would be happy to share what we have learned, so feel free to ask any specific questions.

Good luck!
jumpy.gif

There are a lot of places with restrictive zoning to keep people from keeping animals. I agree that you should check out your town ordinances and see what they say about raising animals. Some have things like how many acres per animal, etc. I also know that there are various efforts going on around the country to revise ordinances so that they are more reasonable. I would suggest that you do some research and find a way to change the ordinances.

You also mentioned the word covenants. I used to live in a house with covenants which are attached to the deed of your property. Mine prohibited having outside animals but they did have an expiration date.

So, looks like you have some research to do and might have a little fight on your hands!

Among the reasons some folks prefer gated communities 'n such is that there are most often restrictions that prohibit what they don't wish to have nearby. And, unfortunately, that often includes any manner of poultry. Some might suggest finding some way to get around these restrictions. I don't, 'cause it wouldn't be the right thing to do ...

I've made it a point to have our farm documented as such, and have every legal right to raise anything I wish to. But, I still went to my neighbors, to make sure they wouldn't mind my adding guineas and chickens to the neighborhood. Not because I had to, but because it was the right thing to do ...

Do the right thing. <-- period.

An excellent way for folks in your situation to have the eggs and meat you want, and still be able to have the pleasure of producing it, would be to find the like-minded w/in your community, and form a cooperative for this purpose. Having at least a handful of good people involved sure makes takin' a vacation (or even an extended night on the town) possible. You could then, as a group, raise crops and even other animals for this purpose, and might even obtain grants or other forms of local support to offset the costs. In fact? Cities can obtain block grants for the creation of green spaces, which often require as little as 1/10 of the entire investment (which could even be donated by the group, or local businesses in exchange for some manner of recognition ~'-)

Or, if gettin' that involved doesn't appeal to you? Just contact your local County Extension Service or Future Farmer's Association, and ask for a list of those nearby your location that might wish to provide what you want.

:: edit :: Overlooked the 'New Member' part of your thread's subject ... don't reckon my words seemed like the warmest of welcomes, but still ... Welcome to BYC ~'-) ::/edit::

Last edited:
Your first step is to find out exactly what the covenants and restrictions you refer to actually state. If you can post a link to that information, that will help to see what you are up against.

this is not a gated community. just an fyi.

That's where that " 'n such " comes in, to cover those many other developments 'n such that attempt to better control the environments for the folks that would rather live in 'em w/o all that has purposely been restricted/prohibited therein. I have helped businesses Appeal to Planning Commissions for exemptions/revisions, but only w/ the full cooperation of those that would otherwise be protected by the Code ... so I don't reckon askin' for changes would absolutely be wrong, provided you went about it in the right way.

Upon review of [whatever you'd be offending by having chickens] you may discover that there are exceptions/exemptions, or a procedure through which you can obtain permission. Often, this involves gettin' everyone anywhere close enough to be affected to climb on board by giving their written consent. For certain, you should demonstate fully your intentions, including where/how they'll be kept, and your assurance that you will only have x number of laying hens; nobody's gonna wanna have a rooster nearby (most esp. if he's anything like the one w/ a broken clock that we last had here ~'-)

Obviously, how far reaching these restrictions are is gonna influence how you would approach affecting change. Knowin' how many residences that this restiction applies to, and whether it was put in place by private or public concern would be helpful to any of us, that are tryin' to be helpful to you ... also, make certain that these restrictions do not in any manner offend rights that have been otherwise established.

Back
Top Bottom