New member with young flock

sholnay

Chirping
Apr 26, 2021
Hi everyone, excited to officially join the community, though I've been reading these pages for a few years now.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Our first set of 4 chicks came home from our community garden store in August of 2018. We were told to expect that one or two might not make it but fortunately, our 4 girls grew up healthy and we've had the same 4 (until very recently 😥).

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We currently have 3 hens as of April 2021.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We honestly don't know, but they're the typical backyard breeds, the store we got them at made up names for some of the breeds, so we named our girls after those original made up names (though some were correct). Buffy the Buff Orpington, Lorpy the Black Australorp, Cherry (a dusty brown and white bird) and Cinnamon (an all brown bird).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love the greetings we receive from them and the chatter they provide our backyard space. They're just such great yard companions.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I like cooking and building things, getting chickens was honestly an excuse to build a chicken coop, though now they've become a part of our family.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have 2 dogs (an australian shepherd mutt (6 y/o) and a Vizsla (born on the same day as our first chicks).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I've been coming to this site since before we got the chicks, doing research, learning what I can, so for about 3 years now. I think it was a post on here that inspired us to seriously consider getting chickens. Unfortunately, I've joined the community to help save one of our sick hens after the quick and unfortunate death of our beloved Buffy. Of course, finally spotting that she was sick, we've realized her death was likely not as quick as it seemed to us. Hopefully, through her passing, we will become better stewards and caretakers of the remaining flock (and we plan to add more soon).

Attached are a couple photos of our flock. Buffy (our Buff Orpington) passed away in the early hours of April 22nd 2021. She had crop issues and was underweight and it sickens us that we let her get to that stage. Cherry has similar crop issues and we're currently investigating treatments and care and are hopeful we can pull her back before she passes like Buffy. Our other two hens appear healthy and happy, no crop issues, no weight issues.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi everyone, excited to officially join the community, though I've been reading these pages for a few years now.

Our first set of 4 chicks came home from our community garden store in August of 2018. We were told to expect that one or two might not make it but fortunately, our 4 girls grew up healthy and we've had the same 4 (until very recently 😥).

We honestly don't know, but they're the typical backyard breeds, the store we got them at made up names for some of the breeds, so we named our girls after those original made up names (though some were correct). Buffy the Buff Orpington, Lorpy the Black Australorp, Cherry (a dusty brown and white bird) and Cinnamon (an all brown bird).

I love the greetings we receive from them and the chatter they provide our backyard space. They're just such great yard companions.

I like cooking and building things, getting chickens was honestly an excuse to build a chicken coop, though now they've become a part of our family.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have 2 dogs (an australian shepherd mutt (6 y/o) and a Vizsla (born on the same day as our first chicks).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I've been coming to this site since before we got the chicks, doing research, learning what I can, so for about 3 years now. I think it was a post on here that inspired us to seriously consider getting chickens. Unfortunately, I've joined the community to help save one of our sick hens after the quick and unfortunate death of our beloved Buffy. Of course, finally spotting that she was sick, we've realized her death was likely not as quick as it seemed to us. Hopefully, through her passing, we will become better stewards and caretakers of the remaining flock (and we plan to add more soon).

Attached are a couple photos of our flock. Buffy (our Buff Orpington) passed away in the early hours of April 22nd 2021. She had crop issues and was underweight and it sickens us that we let her get to that stage. Cherry has similar crop issues and we're currently investigating treatments and care and are hopeful we can pull her back before she passes like Buffy. Our other two hens appear healthy and happy, no crop issues, no weight issues.

Welcome to BYC!

Welcome to BYC. :welcome The white and brown one is a red sexlink the full red one is a rhode island red.

Back
Top Bottom