Squirglederk

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2015
Hi, I joined a few days ago. I'm from Australia, a place called Maraylya, north west of Sydney. I have just made my first post, so this is actually my second. Thought I should introduce myself first (or second, lol). I have Silkies and a couple of months ago bought a brooder from ebay. Hatched 12 from 24. Am trying dry incubating this time to see if I can get a higher hatch rate. I have only watched chickens hatching from my hens, so this is a new experience. I decided to try this way because my coop isn't ideal for breeding. I love Silkies, they are so gentle and don't attack the garden, lol. Have a great day.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Silkies sure are fun to own. Such cutie pies. Incubating eggs is a very exciting and rewarding experience. Nothing warms the heart more than setting eggs and 21 or so days later watching that egg turn into a tiny life. You may find it addicting too. LOL Something so magical about this experience.

If you run into any issues, feel free to post in our Incubating eggs forums...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted! :)

Generally silkies are a very "broody" breed that will sit and hatch their own eggs. Do you have a silkie rooster? Many people buy silkies to use as "incubators," for their other breeds. Have some of yours showed any broody tendencies?

Please check out the "I built a bridge" thread started by my friend Teila. She lives in Australia and has some absolutely gorgeous birds. There is also a thread called "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you enjoy it as much as we do,

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Silkies are a wonderful breed; sweet, adorable, gentle, friendly, and funny little birds. My children made lap pets of our Silkies. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you everyone. Not very computer literate, so have to learn the lingo and how to find such things as 'threads'. I presume this is a 'thread'. Hmm, hopefully not too difficult. I will have a look around. thanks again.

welcome-byc.gif

If you have any questions, always feel free to ask. Members here are friendly and helpful.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom