New member!

mcfamily6

Hatching
Jan 2, 2016
Hi everyone! After 6 years of bugging my husband for chickens he finally surprised me this Christmas with some money to buy a coop! I look forward to belonging here and will be doing lots of research! Come on spring!!! :)

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!! This is the best place you can come to start filling your head with information in preparation for your new adventure. There is a fabulous "coops" section that you can spend time in deciding what type of coop is going to work for you, there is the "Learning Center" which is a great place for beginners and those with a few years under their belt alike to find information on keeping a healthy flock and, of course, the forums themselves are a great place to network with fellow chicken (and other poultry) fans.
Do you have any ideas as to what breed(s) you might start with?

Thank you!!!

I have no idea yet what kind of hens I want to get yet. Our winters can get pretty cold and we get snow (although this winter we've been lucky so far, only a skiff!) I'm researching and of course I want one of every kind, but will probably only start off with 1 or 2 different birds. Any advice for beginners?

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I would advise you to check out your state thread. Chicken folks there could tell you which breeds are hardy in your climate, what type of coop is needed to handle the weather, types of predators to protect against etc.

Chickens are flock animals and do much better with buddies. Three would be better than two, so if you should lose one - they still will have a friend.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to byc. There's lots of coop designs, but buying a shed may be something to consider as they allow for modification as your flocks morphs - grows and believe me, it will! Prefab coops seem to overpriced and generally don't house as many chickens as they claim. Either way, I'm sure you will have lots of fun researching what's right for you.

All the best
Ct

Last edited:
Thank you! I will definitely check that out.

I have a feeling that my small flock will end up becoming quite large!

Back
Top Bottom