Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by phillip26, Feb 27, 2016.

1. phillip26

phillip26 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    I am from ky recently bought 8 laying hens 4 red star and 4 rhode island red. Also bought 22 red star chicks varying ages 1-3 weeks old.2 of them have spraddle leg and i'm not sure how to treat it. Im not new to chickens having grown up raising them but this is my first flock of my own.thanks for any help

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Do not be surprised if the laying hens stop laying for a bit - the transition to a new home generally causes a slight break in egg production. I'm not certain that much can be done for near adult birds with spraddle leg other than to assure that they are not bullied by the others and are kept clean and dry. Good luck with your new flock.

3. phillip26

Feb 27, 2016
    Sorry i wasnt clear the spraddle leg birds are about a week old. the rhide island reds have completely stopped laying the 4 red stars are laying dailybafter a one day break from laying

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! There may still be chance you can fix the spraddle leg of your chicks, here is an article that may help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-fix-spraddle-leg

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new birds. I hope you can get your leg problems sorted :fl

Enjoy BYC :frow

5. phillip26

Feb 27, 2016
    Thank you i will try to get them fixed up today the rest are happy and healthy the hens are loving this pretty weather

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC! You may wish to consider joining your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area. Good luck with fixing your little one!

Cheers
    CT

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope the spraddle leg fix helps your chicks out. With all those red sex links and RIR girls, you're going to eventually be getting tons of eggs every day.

It's nice to have you here!

9. phillip26

Feb 27, 2016
    The plan is when the red six kink chicks get ild enough to lay the rir hens are gonna become dinner they love to pick on my red star hens

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the chicks will do well with treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by