Thank you for the great welcone everyone! We are starting with 8 hens: Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, and Wyandottes. We are in southern MI. There can be some very hot summer days and the winters can be quite cold, you never know what the weather is going to be in MI!. We will have a 20' x 20' run and were planning a 4'' x 8' coop. Im just worried we are going to love having chickens so much that we will want more so im not sure about the coop size!

Chicken math/addiction is real.
You will want more chickens so you may want to build your coop bigger from the start instead of having to go back and add more on later.
wink.png

Hello and welcome ,
Don't worry you can always add on ....
1f423.png
1f425.png

I'd go with 8x8 minimum...

We had a large coop on our yard, we divided it up and made three coops and a storage area . I feel that two 8x8 coops are easier to handle and keep warm. A smaller flock 10-12 is also nice . One of our coops is just 6x6 cause silkies don't need much room
1f425.png

Have lots of fun
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png

G’Day from down under holup
frow.gif
Welcome!

You already have some great links and advice from Ol Grey Mare and redsoxs so I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Actually rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop excluding nest boxes and roosts. And 10 sg.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Crowded chickens are very bad campers, they may react by feather plucking, bullying some away from food and water and in extreme cases cannibalism.

It's always better to build larger than necessary because chicken addiction comes on fast & hard. You will want new breeds you discover, etc. Much easier to build a bigger coop than need to add additions or a second coop later.

My coops built for 8 I have 6 total chickens. when I had all the others I had a chicken tractor and another coop. when I got rid of some hens I got rid of tractor, and put back other coop just in case i decide later on I want more

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom