Good Day,
Back in March 2020, my Husband decided that since we were going to be cooped up at home because of Covid, he was getting a few chicks as a science project for "the kids". Well as usual it has turned into just one more thing for Mama to take care of (but I don't actually mind they are kind of fun/funny). We have 2 kids an 11 yr old boy and 9 yr old girl, we have a 4 yr old Golden retriever, 1 fish and 1 Anole.

We currently have 4 Hens:
1- ???? Your Guess is as good as Mine??? (1) Blue Australorp, Cochin, Sapphire Gem (Maybe)
Name: Rose (nick name Nosy Rosie)​
Personality: She is very curious/nosy and very vocal, She yells at the dog, the kids, the squirrels, the other hens & sometimes me.​
Favorite Treat: She loves meal worms, the home grown tomatoes, and blueberries.​
Story: She thinks she is the leader, she is bossy and wanders the entire yard, the garage & the shed. She has even found her way out of the yard once to visit the next door neighbors. As she wanders she will call out and Hen Solo who will then run/Fly to catch her and the others then follow. She has recently decided that she likes to come up on the deck and bring an accomplice to eat my flowers and herbs. This morning she came to the back slider and was looking in then started being very vocal as if she was demanding more treats (Tomatoes & Blueberries) as if the food in their dish was not good enough.​
2- Australorp (1)
Name: Darth Chicken or Hen Solo (depends who you are talking to)- She is All Black with the green/purple beetle sheen.​
Personality: She is the calm mother hen that the others follow and cuddle up to (the true leader, shhhh don't tell Rose) . She doesn't really seem to mind being held and she will even let the kids pick her up​
Favorite Treat: She loves home grown tomatoes and meal worms​
Story: She has always been Princess Leia's protector, they are never far apart even when sleeping, She is the first to first to come running if the others call. She likes to wander the yard but she really likes to lay under the deck and she is the first to head to the coop at night between 8:15- 8:20 like clock work.​
3 & 4- Silver Laced Wyandottes (2)
#1 Name: Nugget (yes as in Chicken Nugget) My 11 yr old Son has a sick sense of humor.​
Definable feature: She has more white on her head and breast than Princess​
Personality: She is kind of skittish, a bit testy toward the others, the loaner of the bunch but she is normally the first to come to me (especially if she thinks I have treats) but doesn't really like to be touched or picked up.​
Favorite Treat: She likes meal worms & tomatoes but I found yesterday that she LOVES Blueberries!!!! She could not get enough and once they were gone she started yelling at me for more. When she realized I didn't have any more she went up to my mom (who is visiting) and started to get loud with her too.​
Story: She wanders out yard by herself most of the time but she will run/Fly to catch the other if she get frighted. She a Princess got into a little skirmish last week and surprisingly Rose and Hen Solo can to check on her.​
#2 Name: Princess Leia (I call her princess)​
Definable feature: Less White than Nugget, Sometimes as a limp & head twitch​
Personality: Sweet little follower, She follows Hen Solo everywhere, she likes to be held.​
Favorite Treat: She really likes live meal worms, & tomatoes but I found yesterday that she LOVES Blueberries!!!! She could not get enough and once they were gone she started yelling at me for more. When she realized I didn't have any more she went up to my mom (who is visiting) and started to get loud with her too.​
Story: She was our runt, we think she was injured with-in the first few days with us, she could not stand long and had a hard time getting to the food. We figured it was her foot or wing so we separated her for 2 days and feed her in a separate location from the others. My Daughter and I babied her for a week or more, me by carrying her around & holding her in a washcloth against my chest while I worked at my computer and feeding her live meal worms (she got a lot more meal worms then the others). My daughter would hold her or sit with her in the wash cloth next to her while she watched TV. For a while she was about 1/2 the size of the others but she has since caught up to the size of Nugget.​
View attachment 2285049

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom