kd bobbie

In the Brooder
May 25, 2018
I consider myself to be fairly new to chickens. I got my first set of chicks in 1996. They were the joy of my day. When they were two years old I lost them to coyotes that were smart enough to come early in the day, while free ranging, before my electric door safely enclosed them for the night. I now have had 16 chicks and 1 rooster for fun years. My chicks are Isa Browns and Speckled Sussex. My leghorn rooster is very territorial and protective but most of my hens are afraid of him.

Caring for my chicks, listening to and watching them is very quieting in a fast paced world. They remind me to stop rushing around and just take a few moments to enjoy what’s around me.

I love to garden indoors and outside. During the winter months I always have had flowers and a few eatables in a room that gets southern sun exposure. (I live in southeastern Michigan so that’s important.) Now I am looking forward to extending my outside gardening year. This is my first month gardening using a high tunnel.

I am a retired school nurse. I have an adult foster care home for seniors ranging, currently, from age 75-105. I have two handsome sons and one grandson (who enjoys running around the yard and eating any raw veggies he can find).

I love early morning walks, roller skating, reading and trying out new vegan, sugar free recipes. My greatest joy is reading the Bible early in the morning when it’s quiet.

When I got my first set of week old chicks I was frantic. I was so afraid I was going to kill the poor babies. A search brought up ‘BackYard Chickens’ and saved their lives because I really didn’t know what I was doing. I thought I was ready to care for them but the reality didn’t quite match up with what I read. There were so many conflicting thoughts. I just needed to hear from people who knew what they were doing. After going to your site I was able to calm down and enjoy the chicks. Over the years your information has been a blessing. Thank you for freely sharing the information on this site. I still have much to learn so I decided to join and just keep learning.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm glad you've found this site so useful.
I'm impressed that you are running a senior foster care home. Is it respite care or do they reside with you? I have my hands full taking care of one (young) senior with moderate stage Alzheimer's.

Back
Top Bottom