New Member!

efleeman

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2020
Lavonia, GA
Hi all! I've been a chicken farmer all my life, but sold my farm to become a nurse. I recently decided to start raising back yard chickens because I miss having them. I have quickly learned that it's a totally different thing. I started with 5 hens and a rooster. I lost 3 hens the first night to a fox that dug under the pen and swiped them out. I secured the pen. During the day I let them out and lost another hen to a chicken hawk. So we enclosed a scratch area. I now have 5 total hens and a rooster again. I hatched out 7 chicks from a batch of 35 eggs 😔. Most weren't fertile. I have another batch hatching now and praying they all hatch. So far I have 15 out of 35, but they just started hatching yesterday. I'm looking to build a nice coop so I was scrolling and thought, " I'm on this website looking for information all the time so I should join." And here I am. 😊. So I have a son that I'm an training to raise chickens. He's in FFA and his project is raising chickens. I want him to love them as much as I do. My husband has even gotten into it! He's always thinking of better ways to do stuff for them. So I'll admit I've been called the crazy chicken lady more than once....lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20201008_195639198.jpg
    IMG_20201008_195639198.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 8
Hi all! I've been a chicken farmer all my life, but sold my farm to become a nurse. I recently decided to start raising back yard chickens because I miss having them. I have quickly learned that it's a totally different thing. I started with 5 hens and a rooster. I lost 3 hens the first night to a fox that dug under the pen and swiped them out. I secured the pen. During the day I let them out and lost another hen to a chicken hawk. So we enclosed a scratch area. I now have 5 total hens and a rooster again. I hatched out 7 chicks from a batch of 35 eggs 😔. Most weren't fertile. I have another batch hatching now and praying they all hatch. So far I have 15 out of 35, but they just started hatching yesterday. I'm looking to build a nice coop so I was scrolling and thought, " I'm on this website looking for information all the time so I should join." And here I am. 😊. So I have a son that I'm an training to raise chickens. He's in FFA and his project is raising chickens. I want him to love them as much as I do. My husband has even gotten into it! He's always thinking of better ways to do stuff for them. So I'll admit I've been called the crazy chicken lady more than once....lol.
:welcome :welcome :welcome
I'm sorry for all of your loss.
Thank you for being a Nurse.

Back
Top Bottom