McKeownkd

Chirping
Dec 9, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to raising chickens this year. Since I was working from home I though it would be a great time to dive into something new and exciting! I got my first batch of day old chicks back in March, and 2 more started pullets in July.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 5 hens total right now. One of our baby chicks turned out to be a rooster and though he was very sweet and handsome he was bothering our ladies too much when he reached maturity. He went back to the farm where we got him from to be a stud. After giving him up, I treated myself to two started pullets that would lay colorful eggs. One of our original ladies died of Mareks 2 weeks ago, despite being vaccinated. So now, currently 5.
(3) What breeds do you have?
2 Dominiques: Taco and Noodle
1 Welsummer: Nugget
1 Easter Egger: Biscuit
1 Olive Egger: Gravy

The rooster that we gave back and the hen that died were both Lavender Orpingtons. Waffle and Dumpling.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love how affectionate my girls are. They all have such individual personalities. They are so fun to watch!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm an artist and a potter. I love to read and garden.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a very patient husband, a mischievous puppy, and 2 fat cats.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC through searching the web about raising chickens. I joined your community because I'd like to add to my flock since I lost my Dumpling to Mareks, but I want to do it safely.
Thanks guys!

I am new to raising chickens this year. Since I was working from home I though it would be a great time to dive into something new and exciting! I got my first batch of day old chicks back in March, and 2 more started pullets in July.
I have 5 hens total right now. One of our baby chicks turned out to be a rooster and though he was very sweet and handsome he was bothering our ladies too much when he reached maturity. He went back to the farm where we got him from to be a stud. After giving him up, I treated myself to two started pullets that would lay colorful eggs. One of our original ladies died of Mareks 2 weeks ago, despite being vaccinated. So now, currently 5.

The rooster that we gave back and the hen that died were both Lavender Orpingtons. Waffle and Dumpling.

I love how affectionate my girls are. They all have such individual personalities. They are so fun to watch!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC through searching the web about raising chickens. I joined your community because I'd like to add to my flock since I lost my Dumpling to Mareks, but I want to do it safely.
Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!
1606528678036.jpg

Back
Top Bottom