H Greeff

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2021
Hi, my name is Henriëtte. I live in South Africa and I have only one chicken. A Cornish x that I actually bought just because I had a pigeon that I picked up in our yard that had a broken wing. It was actually to keep the pigeon company, but from day one, the pigeon did not want to know anything of the chick (she was a day old). So I decided to raise her myself as my pet. She is now 5 months old and already weighs 5kg (11 pounds). I love her so much. She just laid her first egg this morning. I was so overwhelmed and so proud of my "hoenertjie". I try to limit her food intake now because I read that they don't live long because of their weight. So I feed her corn in the mornings and at night before she goes to bed (sleeps in a cage in my sitting room). In between, she gets green leaves of brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage leaves. I also feed her tomatoes and carrots (cooked without salt). She loves bread and egg, but I totally limit her on that now due to the rapid weight gain. I new nothing about chickens and did not even know what I was getting myself into. But I won't trade her for anything. Can someone please tell me why she is trying to eat plastic bags and carton box? I also mix some fine crushed egg shells into her corn for calcium. What else is there that I should know about raising her. When can I expect the next egg and I guess they will not be able to hatch because they are not fertilized (do not know if that is the right word).

Can someone please tell me why she is trying to eat plastic bags and carton box?
She is probably curious, but definitely don't let her eat those! :)
When can I expect the next egg and I guess they will not be able to hatch because they are not fertilized (do not know if that is the right word).
No, they are not fertilized (that is the right word) because she doesn't have a male to hang with.
Welcome to BYC!! :welcome

Hello, Henriette, and welcome to the BYC community. Good luck in extending her life span.
Hi Thanks. Am I feeding her the right food as mentioned and is there something that she is not allowed to eat? I did see that she is not allowed to eat tomato leaves or brinjal leaves and also no advocado and things like oranges.

Hello, Henriëtte, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You need to put her on a complete chicken feed and limit the amount. What you are currently feeding her would shorten the life of a non-meat chicken. I would never give her corn or bread or pasta...
She also needs to go outside and get lots of exercise.

Back
Top Bottom