Hello everyone, we have finally moved out to the country and wanted to have our own chickens. I just got my coop and most of my supplies and planning to get chickens next week. My husband Larry and I are retired and moved to his family's farm in East Texas to be closer to family and friends. We have a long hair German Shepherd named Truman. The coop can accommodate around 15 hens, but we are going to start with 5 or 6 hens. Hopefully as I learn more, I can add more later. I feel it is important to learn as much as possible so we can give them the best life possible, and can enjoy the eggs they will give us. Attached picture of my coop.
Thanks,
Deborah and Larry Lee
Welcome to BYC!!! Also I love you coop but can I suggest putting a board under the floor of the run so no predators get in!

Welcome to BYC!!! Also I love you coop but can I suggest putting a board under the floor of the run so no predators get in!
We are adding a 3 ft chicken wire skirt attached to the outside coop and run., the top of the run is also covered, we have 4 vent windows in the coop, have 3 nesting boxes that extend and also open from coop, two 5ft roosting boards in coop, 2 removable trays under roost with screens, water proofed all wood inside coop, and are sealing around openings. I want to put covering over the top of the coop with a little hangover for rain.....should it be completely covered or just partially? Also, what am I missing? Truman is making sure I am doing thing the correct way

Attachments

• Truman.jpeg
    Truman.jpeg
    854.8 KB · Views: 1
Hi Deborah, welcome to BYC! I'm in east Texas, as well. (My old dog's name was Truman too. He was a wire haired dachshund.)
Our weather dictates more than minimal ventilation. Chickens do much better in cold weather than hot weather. My chickens' favorite coop has a completely open -to -the -run side. I do like having covers over the runs because of these torrential rains we have. It also allows more room for feeders and waterers in the run.
Chicken wire is pretty useless for keeping predators out. 1/2" hardware cloth is best for that job. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom