kastricktn3

In the Brooder
May 27, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to raising chickens, my husband grew up doing so. My addiction began the day I hatched 7 chicks from the Cinnamon Queen/RIR -hens/rooster we bought as a moving in gift. After 9 years we finally moved our home from a tiny lot to 13acres.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
6 Hens, 1 Roo
7 1mos old Guineas
46 chicks of varying ages

(3) What breeds do you have?
Rhode Island Red
Cinnamon Queen
Golden Laced Wyandottes
Golden Sebright
White Crested Black Polish
Silver Laced Black Polish
Americanas
Silkies

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love watching my roo care for his hens. Its something that never ceases to make me grin like a doofus. He really loves his girls. He is the sweetest little guy, until one of my dogs think they can sneak in a sniff lol.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I really enjoy gardening, reading, and making some of the chicken coop stuff I see on Amazon for a fraction of their asking price.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have 4 kids, 4 Yorkies, 4 Shorkies, and 4 goats as well. I just noticed that there seems to be a lot of 4s in my life lol.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what ⁸made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC on Google with answers to several different questions I had/ have. Most recently I found the heating pad Mama Hen from Blooie- I think? And am currently making one.

The reason I joined is because I have a question that leaves me stumped.
I have a 1.5 mos old (cockerel?) who keeps breeding (or trying to) one of my little Guineas. Has anyone ever seen this before? He is the only one of my chicks that does anything like it. My husband said he hadn't ever seen it before, so I was wondering if it is as rare as it seems to hubby.

Back
Top Bottom