NEW MEMBER ......

Mov1estar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Bellaire Tx
Hi everyone out there. I'm starting out with two Road Island Reds. Didn't want to give a bunch of chickens life long psychological scares from my attempt at backyard farming :). If all goes well I'll introduce more as I learn the ropes. I'm in Texas so I don't know how the heat will effect them.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

Rhode Island Reds do great in heat. You picked a good breed for the area. If they ever do get hot i suggest watering down some dirt and letting them roll in it. Best of luck!

Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
From the San Diego High desert.

I had some RIR quite some time ago.... And some heavier feathered birds like Cochins ... They do fine in the heat as long as you provide them shade. Pleanty of water too. My place gets around 100-105 in the summer time but not for extended periods.... Also my humidity is very low.

If you live in a high humidity area this can effect the relative temperature.... Sort of like the chill factor in the winter... Its called a heat index. YOu can find charts of them on line.

Here at 90 degrees by the coast where the humidity is higher it will feel more like 95-100 degrees.... But up at my house that same 90 degrees will feel just like 90 degrees.... LOL.

heat index chart
heatindex_rh.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

So glad you could join our community! I would follow the link that Kelsie provided to your state thread and chat with others on how they deal with your summer time heat issues. You might consider using sand in your coop and run. Sand is a great medium for warm climates as you can hose it down in the summer and it keeps the birds really cool without turning into mud. It stays dry when wet, keeps the flies away, easy to clean and there is no stink from poop. I dig mine out of local arroyo's and washes for free. But you can use river sand, play sand or sand from gravel companies. Here is a great link you can read up on sand and how to use it.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom