Cher H

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
Hi,
I recently started my adventure in owning my first little family of chickens. My dad made a little coop for me this year and just recently gave me 6 cute hens and a handsome rooster. I have dug through your forums for months trying to get as much information as possible so I would be ready when the chickens arrived. I've had them for a few weeks now and can't wait to get out in the mornings to check on them and let them out of the coop. They should begin laying around Christmas and I can't wait. I look forward to being a new member of your group and all the new things yet to be learned.

Welcome to BYC. I love your coop. It would be great to see some pictures of the inside. Keep us posted on when you get your first eggs.

Thank you, I love my little coop. I think my dad did such a great job. He used the "Bella" plan with a few modifications. Most of the material came from old cedar fencing I had just laying around and scraps we picked up from here and there. I've attached a few more photos. I still need to work on nest boxes but I figured I have a few more weeks. The plastic lids are just temporary so the girls don't mess in the nest area for now.

What a cute coop - what are the dimensions of it? Depending on your location it may become a little crowded for a flock your size when/if you head into winter and they become less inclined to venture outdoors for much of the day. Looks like a happy flock with all that room to free range in. Are you planning to hatch eggs (you mention having the rooster)? Good news is you have a great builder on call for the expansions that will be needed if so.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a cute little coop!! Yes, watch out for any aggression in the coop as it is a bit tiny for all your birds. If they have some place to hang out in during the day instead of the coop on those rainy or snowy days, they will have more room to spend their time. All of them all day in a coop this small and they may be at each others throats or butts.

Make yourself at home here and enjoy your flock! They do look like they are enjoying themselves. :)

The coop is approximately 4x4 designed to hold 6 laying hens. I'm not planning to hatch eggs but the rooster is nice to have around the girls since they are roaming free during the day. If it does get a little crowded I can just give my dad a chicken or two. He has a large coop which can accommodate more chickens or as you suggested get him to expand my coop.

The coop is approximately 4x4 designed to hold 6 laying hens. I'm not planning to hatch eggs but the rooster is nice to have around the girls since they are roaming free during the day. If it does get a little crowded I can just give my dad a chicken or two. He has a large coop which can accommodate more chickens or as you suggested get him to expand my coop.
Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a really beautiful flock and a cute coop, but 4 X 4 is really too small for 6 hens. The miniimum recommended coop space is 4 sq. ft. per hen (more is better). With 6 hens you really need a minimum floor area of 24 sq. ft. (again more would be better). Overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, biting, feather plucking, stress, loss in egg production, and even serious injuries. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom