Memeschix

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 14, 2014
Central texas
Hi y'all. I am fairly new at being a chicken mama, about 6 months in now. I have 6 black Australorps, 2 Easter Eggers & 1 golden polish. I have gotten a 6 month old white silkie rooster from my feed store and want to know what to expect when they all meet. I'm as nervous as a girl on her wedding night:(. I have him in a coop by himself for now. Can somebody tell me what to expect? I have to admit I am a bit scared. Blessings to all! Mimi

Put him in the coop with the others at night when they are asleep. They will wake up and will not notice a diffrence. Soon the rooster will start to keep the hens and line and do his job. Nothing to worry about. It will be fine!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The best way to add new birds to a flock is from behind a cage or wire for a few weeks. There is a strict pecking order that needs to be followed at all times and the flock leader knows each and every bird in their flock quite well. Along with aggression, you need to protect your flock against disease. You do not want to jeopardize your flock bringing in a bird that is sick or carrying something. Adding hens to a flock can be a bit more difficult because they will take a spot lower in the order and generally need more time in a cage or fenced off area within the flock to get worked into the order. Roosters generally don't take as long since they will assume top position.

However since he is new and still young, I think he needs the same quarantine time as any new hens would. So set up a cage or fenced off area in your coop and run and leave him in there for 3 or so weeks. This will allow everybody to see, but not touch. If he turns up sick, he was kept away from your flock, and you will be able to tell if he is mature enough to go into your flock. Young roosters can get beat up pretty badly if they are not yet mature.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! Great advice there from TwoCrows for you. It will just take time and patience to get them all together. Don't think your alone on this I know just how you are feeling I too have new roo at the minute in quarantine waiting to go in with some of my girls. I'm sure I will be a worry wort when he does go in with them but they have to sort their pecking order out.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your flock, hope you enjoy BYC :frow.

Welcome to BYC, Mimi! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. You have some very nice breeds. We used to raise Golden Polish and they were delightful birds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite hens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom