New member!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Which part of Texas are you in? My wife and I both grew up in the great state of Texas. The other members have given you some advice. As far as which breed would be best for you, that depends on what your main purpose is in having chickens. If eggs are your main priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links, which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Since you are in Texas, I would suggest purchasing newly hatched Black Sex Link chicks (pullets so you don't have to try and re-home unwanted roosters later on) from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX (http://idealpoultry.com/). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome and good luck with your new adventure. Personally I would highly recommend starting with baby chicks, more fun than I had imagined.

Back
Top Bottom