Jeejay

Hatching
May 15, 2015
Hi everyone
Hubby and I have just purchased a small chicken coop and are lookimg for our first chickens. We just want two and have the option of Australorp or Barred Plymouth Rock - as we are beginners any suggestions as to which ones?

Either breed is a very good choice, why not get one of each? My only hesitation would be - they may turn out to be males, and I'm thinking you only want females. Some sellers will let you return males and try again with a different chick. When possible it is better be buy older birds when the sex can be guaranteed.

Welcome to BYC!

I like @drumstick diva 's idea of trying both breeds. I would also suggest you get another 1 or 2 chickens (for a total of 3 or 4). That way if you lose one of them, you won't end up with a solitary chicken. Chickens are flock animals and don't like being alone.

Good luck to you, nice to have you join us

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had both breeds (still have Australorps) and they are both great breeds. I personally prefer the Australorps for the following reasons. While both breeds are very cold hardy, the Australorps take heat better; while both breeds are generally docile, the Australorps tend to be the gentler breed (natural lap pets); and while both breeds are good layers, the Australorps are the superior layers. Our Australorps give us 5-6 eggs per hen per week compared to 3-4 eggs per hen per week we got from our Barred Rocks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whichever breed you decide to get, good luck with your chickens.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had both breeds (still have Australorps) and they are both great breeds. I personally prefer the Australorps for the following reasons. While both breeds are very cold hardy, the Australorps take heat better; while both breeds are generally docile, the Australorps tend to be the gentler breed (natural lap pets); and while both breeds are good layers, the Australorps are the superior layers. Our Australorps give us 5-6 eggs per hen per week compared to 3-4 eggs per hen per week we got from our Barred Rocks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whichever breed you decide to get, good luck with your chickens.

X2
and
so very glad you've joined us!

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you decided to join us.

You have already been given great advice…It would be devastating to draw a roo or 2 roos. IMO small flocks of 3-4 are truly happier and if you have the room, go a little larger. Managing 6 is as easy as 2 as long as your coop/run offer enough room.

Back
Top Bottom