New memer intro

RachelGM

Chirping
Sep 6, 2018
Hi everyone, just joined BYC. I'm new to chicken keeping, having taken on my four hybrids just under a month ago. They're rescued hens, two we think are about three and a half, one a little older than that and one about two. Two are a ginger brown, one a little lighter and one with dark body and gingery chest. We already have a bond. They are already very trusting and I can see their different personalities, especially now they are very contented birds.
I live in the UK, in the county of Norfolk, with my husband and two daughters. We are a family of Salvationists (The Salvation Army is our church) and my husband and I are brass musicians. I'm not currently working, but did work as a care assistant in the geriatric sector. I am now working on a qualification in horticulture and practice what I learn on the allotment. I also enjoy art, sewing and cooking.
So, that's me. I hope to learn lots from you about looking after my new feathered friends.

I do have something I'd like to ask. My oldest Hen has lumps on her legs. Others on our allotment site said it was old age, and she does appear to be the eldest, but one of them has burst. There is a little blood and, although she doesn't seem at all bothered by it, I've bought some genitian purple (I read it disguises it so other hens don't peck at it). I've cleaned it in the meantime, but will the spray be all I need?

I do have something I'd like to ask. My oldest Hen has lumps on her legs. Others on our allotment site said it was old age, and she does appear to be the eldest, but one of them has burst. There is a little blood and, although she doesn't seem at all bothered by it, I've bought some genitian purple (I read it disguises it so other hens don't peck at it). I've cleaned it in the meantime, but will the spray be all I need?
Can you post a few pictures if said bumps?

Back
Top Bottom