New Mille additions :)

mamahen2011

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Michigan
Ok, wanted to start handling the new girls a little since they have had little handling by their previous owner. Took some pics of them and then sat next to their cage and hand fed them some mealworm treats to get them liking me
smile.png
So far I've noticed our 1 girl (Elenor - my daughter named them) is very flighty, very nervous about being handled, VERY talkative when separated from her sister. She was very hesitant about taking mealies from me too, it took like 10 minutes for her to even come close to my hand. Our other girl (Gracie - again, my daughter's idea) is a little more relaxed about being held, is very quiet, and much quicker to come get mealies from me. I'm hoping that with time they will both be as friendly as our Justina is, I'm sure the treats will go a long way to help
smile.png

These new girls also have a lot to learn about food
smile.png
They absolutely DEVOUR the feed, I don't think they got a lot of it where they were before. Like I mentioned in my other thread, they are definitely thinner then our girl. I also gave them a corn on the cob we had left over from a recent dinner ... they didn't even TOUCH IT! LOL Nor did they touch the sprig of millet that I put in there with them. I can't get over how much Justina LOVES these foods but these guys wouldn't even try them yet. I know once they are all integrated they will learn a lot from Justina, it's just funny seeing how different they actually are because they were raised differently.

Here are pics from today. I'll be able to get better one's once the girls are more acclimated to our home
smile.png

Elenor (she has a black area on the top of her head, the other one does not)

029.jpg

024-1.jpg

Gracie (she is a slightly lighter color then Elenor)

018.jpg

019.jpg

PS
The white stuff on the girls is just the sand from the cage they're in, not lice or mites (I gave them a good look yesterday and today). And when I was taking them out they ran all over the cage and through their water and back into the sand, so it was ALL OVER them.
smile.png
And the white haze that seems to be over their eyes in a couple pics ... it's just the flash. They both have bright eyes, nice shiny feathers. But their combs are a bit ragged ... not like our Justina, but Justina has been an only chicken for a while with no one to pick at her.

Last edited:
I saw my chicken fast asleep for the first time since she was a fuzzy chick!!! LOL

I went to set their light to come on a little earlier in the morning since it's set to go off a little later at night now with the kids back to school and schedules changing. Anyhow, I went and clicked on the light and the 2 new girls were up and about but over in the corner was Justina ... fast asleep
smile.png
Didn't hear me mucking around, wasn't bothered by the light coming on or the other girls milling around. It was sooooooo cute! Of course, I didn't have the camera with me. LOL

Back
Top Bottom